iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picking up my fist mill

Started by crosswind, February 12, 2018, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crosswind

Hi my name is Scott.
I have been lurking and reading on here for several months. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Woodmizer LT40 portable mill. I'm leaving today to pick it up tomorrow.

It is great to have this site with the vast amount of knowledge and experience to draw from. I will no doubt have a ton of newbie questions. I have never even seen one operate but I have been around all sorts of equipment over the years.
I bought the mill for more of cutting for my own projects than trying to make a profit with. I   plan on retiring in a few years and want to tackle some of my long awaited projects.

Thanks, looking forward to getting started. I already have a good sized pile of saw logs cut from a couple years ago to practice on. Most of my sawing will be on hardwood. Oak, maple, ash, cherry, cottonwood and some sassafras.   

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ChugiakTinkerer

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!  Looking forward to seeing pics.  Learning how to post images on this site can be challenging at first, but most folks figure it out by the time they cut into their first log stop.
Woodland Mills HM130

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

Congratulations! Can you tell us some of the options you chose? Engine, set works....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Congratulations!  Welcome to the forum!   

I haven't sawn my first board with my mill!  Woodmizer Carolinas just called and I'm schedule to pick mine up Wednesday!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Congrats on the new 40!  Welcome to the forum.  Do share your experience and we'll 'hear' the grin!

Sawyer Ted
Congrats to you too!  Joe is busy with forum folk.

thecfarm

Welcome and you will like it.
Whatcha building??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Everybody getting these new Mills.......Thanks Donald Trump.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum, and tell us how you like that 40.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

crosswind

Quote from: Crossroads on February 12, 2018, 02:22:48 PM
Congratulations! Can you tell us some of the options you chose? Engine, set works....

I'm buying the mill used, with around a hundred hours on it. It is a 2016 LT40HD. It has the debarker and command control and the accuset II. Powered by a Yanmar diesel. Probably way more mill than I need for more of a hobby. I have bought enough farm and excavation equipment over the years to learn my lesson on buying something that needs work thinking I would save money. Lol.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: crosswind on February 12, 2018, 08:05:49 PM

I'm buying the mill used, with around a hundred hours on it.

Thats a new mill. 100 hours? Great buy!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

crosswind

Quote from: thecfarm on February 12, 2018, 07:25:46 PM
Whatcha building??

I am in need of a bunch of T&G for a pole barn I'm finishing the inside of f to make a shop.

But I figured with my vast knowledge of running a sawmill, I probably be making a lot of firewood and kindling for awhile. Lol

But no joke it is almost unbelievable how folks are so helpful on this forum. I'm sure I will have many dumb questions to ask over the next few years.

Southside

Crosswind - welcome to the Forum.  With that setup you will be making very good lumber in no time.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

Congrats on the new mill and welcome to the sawdust addiction! Having a stack of logs to get started on is great but even better is having a place to store and dry it all once its cut ;).
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

burtle

Welcome!

Hope you enjoy the mill!
Never Give Up

GAB

Quote from: crosswind on February 12, 2018, 08:25:58 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on February 12, 2018, 07:25:46 PM
Whatcha building??

I am in need of a bunch of T&G for a pole barn I'm finishing the inside of f to make a shop.

But I figured with my vast knowledge of running a sawmill, I probably be making a lot of firewood and kindling for awhile. Lol

But no joke it is almost unbelievable how folks are so helpful on this forum. I'm sure I will have many dumb questions to ask over the next few years.

Practice with the poorer quality logs.  It doesn't hurt as much to turn them into firewood.
Try and stay away from the log stops as they are rough on blades.
So far i've hit mine TMTTC.  (Too Many Times To Count)
Try to avoid the log clamp it is also rough on blades.
If you are like me, it will take you 80 to 100 hours, before you start feeling comfortable with the machine.
Good luck
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

crosswind

Thx for the warning Gerald. I will try not to make that mistake. But from what I have read it's not if it's more like when. Lol.

pineywoods

Try to not saw in the presence of visitors, especially other sawyers for a while. That;s usually when backstops and clamps get in the way of the blade.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Treehack

Welcome to FF.  Glad to see you starting small to get your feet wet, you can always upgrade later :D :D :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Crossroads

Sounds like a nice unit! At 100 hours it's just getting broke in, if might even have the first scratch already, saving you that first scratch tear lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

crosswind

I didn't want to pull it all the way to Mi through the salt and wet conditions so my nephew and I are picking it up on his 53 ft flat bed with a curtain to keep it out of the elements.
Should be loading it around 5 pm today.

GAB

Quote from: pineywoods on February 13, 2018, 09:34:05 AM
Try to not saw in the presence of visitors, especially other sawyers for a while. That;s usually when backstops and clamps get in the way of the blade.. ;D

Another thing likely to happen with spectators around is changing blade and having the teeth pointed in the wrong direction.
It just does not saw. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Banjo picker

Quote from: pineywoods on February 13, 2018, 09:34:05 AM

This is spot on advice.  I have been sawing for right at 10 years and most of the time when someone comes up, I shut her down.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!