iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new mill owner

Started by sawguyver, January 29, 2006, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguyver

So pleased to read these posts. 
I've been so fortunate to aquire this mill recently and am on quite a high.

I've been eating up as much info as I can find. I visit old saw sites in the area, some still working . I look for as many photos as I can find. and when I go back to my mill it always surprises me  how much thought went into it. its always been a small mill run by the same family as a farm saw.
Being on a hill gives it space for a sawdust elevator and lineshaft under the building. the last 15 or so years it has seen very little matanence but has been sawing ocasionally. I sawed 2000 bf this fall while learning. mostly pine but some cherry and poplar.

I'm using #3 x 9x 9/32 thooth.
I find myself adding 11/32 when working back to my dogged board. Is this amount of kerf uncommon?

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!

Just be careful around that old log eater.  Don't let it eat you! 

smiley_deadheader alligator
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawguyver

With everything running you cant help but be impressed. I believe I have a healthy fear.  I go slow and spend alot of time observing. also I speak with the former owner often and have him come by alot. Unbelievable how much time is saved just having him around. the learning curve would be so different without him.

i

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

UNCLEBUCK

After a few years I still saw alone and I just dont like anyone around as it knocks me out of rythym .  I am going to run all dimensional lumber this spring through my old edger so I dont have to figure nothing out and just keep pulling the lever and saw logs !  I got 3 blades and two have 1/4 inch kerf  . It is fun to see everything working like you describe and how simple it all is and yet exact .  What kind of mill ?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sawguyver

I'm not sure what kind of mill it is.
Any hints on how to Identify it?

The blade is 48" and I have another that is 54" but has never been on the saw. also no idea if th 54" has ever been tensioned for the 650 rpm that the saw runs at.

Coon

sawguyver, 
   we need pics to help with the identifying purpose.  There is most definately someone that is a member here that'll tell you whaty it is...

Question:   Is the mill a right hand mill or left hand.Meaning which way does the log enter the blade.  On a right hand mill  you will saw from the right hand side of the blade and the opposite for left handed.  Left handed mills are not nearly as popular as the right.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

leweee

Welcome to the forum sawguyver. ;D

Here is an interesting site to do a "sawmill manufacturers"search

http://www.owwm.com/

What part of Ontario you all from(she's a big place....and I'm nosey) :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguyver

There's a cross cut saw we call a "butt saw " to cut up the slabs at the far end of the mill. It was often run with three men and I find with two of us it goes pretty smoothly. But your right unclebuck, I've run it with people around watching and there is just too much going on when you have to include knowing where everybody is. Luckly all thats happened is that I've screwed up some cuts. But its enough to understand its not a casual enviroment and it demands all your attention. I prefer being a 2 person crew though. If a spectator passes by I shut it down.

sawguyver

I am near perth ont. about one hour from Ottawa.
OWWM is one of my favorite sites but it hasn't been alot of help. Its funny I never came across this site wile there.
When sawing the log is on my right.
I have a few pictures uploaded but haven't figured out how to put them on a thread.
They don't show the husk very well but the carrage is driven by friction belts.

UNCLEBUCK

I like the sound of that slab cutter .  Watch the video feed of Jeff B in action sawing as it will make you dizzy .  Blade questions I guess are getting fairly simple as everything changes with rpm so dont be afraid to ask because there are many here who figure out any little quirks to help you . Corley has a video too with his circle mill and I am going to add a 30 second video this spring . Kind of fun to watch mills working
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

beenthere

sawguyver
Go to your loaded pics on your gallery, and click on the line below the pic "click to copy photo insertion code" and then just hit 'ctrl-v' to paste it in your reply.

nice pics
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguyver

awsom Thanks !!
This is so much fun.
I will take more pictures of the husk tomorrow.

Three days ago I felt all alone (Special but all alone) :D. Saw mills are so cool and unique . Not really every day stuff for most people :-\.  My saw has never been run in the winter but I want to change that. I'm going crazy I need my fix. ;D

thecfarm

sawguyver,welcome to the forum.Looks like quite the mill.I can't heip you,I only have a band saw mill.I can see why people would like to see that saw lumber. More pictures,please.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

sawguyver
Do you have the circle sawmill book by Stan Lunstrum?  It has been mentioned before and wondered if it crossed your path.
Can be read here at  Stan's book

Also, the 'butt' saw probably is the 'buck' saw with a local twist to the way it's pronounced  :D

Anxious to see more pics. Not easy to get good pics in a sawmill. But you're doin well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguyver

Heres a photo that has an answer and a question.
I'm looking for the tooth that is with the shank?
I can get this blade but apperantly there are no teeth available.
Are they disston teeth.

Buzz-sawyer

That sure looks like a common B/F tooth ??? ???

....many different styles will fit in that type gullet if thats what youhave there..........and all are commonly available....the type of tooth you choose depends on weather your sawing frozen wood, hardwoods, softwoods....economy, and personal preference....Several of the fellas here prefere plain steel bits, i like the chrome, and get more cut for the sharpening, . :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguyver

sorry no posts of husk tonight.  I seem to have erased my camera shots accidentally.
still trying to identify the mill. does this photo of the guides help?

beenthere

This larger size from your gallery is easier to see.  :)

Below is one of the husk.  You may have just lost the location of your pics in your gallery. But I think they are there.

That looks like a fun mill to work.
south central Wisconsin

sawguyver

Thank you beenthere. You've been a great help.

I took some pictures with the husk cover off today. I was hoping to post them tonight. They showed how the belts were placed and I hoped it would help some one recognize the make.

I've been looking at other gallery photos and other mills seem to have simular set ups. It might be harder to identify than I thought. 

sawguyver

I found this photo. the belts and the husk frame look very simular to mine. I zoomed in on the guide but it was too fuzzy. What make would this be ???

sawguyver

This is my 1945 Case VA.
I try to skid with it. No chains and tires are not loaded. When you add lots of hills it gets tuff. In the summer it works fine. I've seen some photos of arches and I think I can make one pretty easily with the Back end of a VW rabbit I have here.

Thank You Sponsors!