iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sausage Time

Started by deutz4, March 15, 2009, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deutz4

Just stuck 325 Lbs of sausage in the smokehouse yesterday. Now just sit back and be patient for a week.

LeeB

Secret recipe or you gonna share?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I want pictures of the smokehouse.  Puhleez?

How much smoke and what kind?  How much heat?

linked sausages or bulk?

I want a smoke house again.

Dave Shepard

When I was a kid we used to use some land that belonged to a retired farmer. He had a smoke house, just big enough to stick your head in. That was enough, boy did that smell good! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

325 lbs,WOW that's ALOT.Someone must like sauage.What kind of meat did you use?What kind of wood you using? The only smoke house I ever see is at the Fyeburg Fair.I think 3 feet square,by 6 feet tall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

When Jeff came to see me the first time, back in the early days of the forum, we went to the Okeefenokee and perused the old Chesser homeplace, which has been saved for people to visit and see how a family lived back then.  The smokehouse was the size of a modern bedroom and the syrup shed was bigger than a one car garage.  I'm supposing that the smokehouse was of that size because smoked meats were left in there for storage, there not being any refrigeration.

deutz4

The smokehouse is nothing more than an oversized outhouse, about 6x6. It has a dirt floor with about a 2 foot section of 55 gal. drum dug into the floor. Very little heat is applied at all. We try to keep a fire barely alive with green beechwood and beech sawdust. Its considered "cold-smoked". We use beef casings and make the rings around 2 Lbs each. They are strung on maple poles and placed just under the roofline of the smokehouse. Some of the people that still do it around here also use pork casings. The only difference is that the diameter is a little smaller (about 1" compared to close to 2"). Its a family affair with each of us usually making 50 lbs. Some is venison/pork and some straight pork (my favorite). The recipe is quite simple. 25 lbs pork, 2/3 cup uniodized salt, 2/3 cup pepper, 1/3 cup marjoram. The venison is usually dolled up with garlic powder, mustard seed, crushed red pepper, etc. Everybody has their own favorite add-ins.
After the sausage is done, we get bacon slabs from our local meat market. He injects them with cure and we smoke them ourselves.

srt

Talking about smoke houses, you've got my ear for sure!  I remember seeing a few of them on old farms as a kid.  They'd long ago been stripped of their rightful duty, and generally served to store junk.  Funny though, they were still called the smoke house, not junk houses.   Some day in the next few years, I plan to build and use one on our farm. 

Care to share more about the building, care and feeding of a smoke house?

deutz4

There's really not much to it. If you can build a shed you can build an old fashioned smokehouse. Don't make it too airtight. The smoke has to escape somewhere. Ours is a very simple 6x6 shed setting on one row of cement blocks. There is a 2x4 nailed on two sides to support the meat poles. Very simple. If you use a drum firepit make sure you have a lid to slide partially closed to keep the fire choked down. Some guys use a stove set outside the building with a T in the smokestack with dampers. That way they can easily restart a fire without burning the overhanging sausages.

Thank You Sponsors!