iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zerks Again

Started by Magicman, April 11, 2017, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I already had two broken Zerks that I has having to use a "needle" on and Saturday another popped out as I was greasing.  Three is too many so this morning it was drilling out, tapping, and installing Zerks.

To drill the broken hardened piece out I first used a smaller carbide masonry bit followed by a 11/32" HS bit.  (Notice the blade marks on the log clamp!)  Yup, I have done it too.   ::)

Tapped the hole with a 1/8 NPT tap.

Success.  Notice the grease oozing out of the joint on the kinda top left side.

Two side supports got the same treatment.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rl

have a couple pulled out...haven't replaced yet....really (admin edit) that a 30,000.00 dollar machine is made that way..(admin edit)
rl

Crusarius

You can get flush mount zerks. that may elminate your problem. The only catch is you need a special end to fill them. but since you were already talking about a needle maybe you have the right tool.

Search for flush mount zerk and needle nozzle. That will get you what you need. I have them installed on my driveshaft of my jeep and countersunk. only ones that do not break on the rocks. I have hit them plenty of times.

Magicman

19 years for this sawmill so I am not complaining.  I am quite sure that I will be fine with what I did.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Lynn, are you sure you drilled that hole in your clamp in the right spot  ???...if I'm not mistaken mine is a little further over than that.

;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Yes Paul, I didn't drill a new hole.  That was one of the instances where I had to use a carbide masonry bit to drill the old broken Zerk out.  It is directly over the shaft that goes through the block so if it was moved very much it would not push grease out of the other end.

Ga Mtn Man

Sorry Lynn, that was another one of my lame attempts at humor.  Guess you didn't see the  ;) at the bottom of my post.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I had to look back to even see it.  Actually it was about as far off as your Zerk.   :D

Ga Mtn Man

Now that's humor. :laugh:

Darrel

That's a job I need to do soon
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for posting the info MM.  I'm sure I'll need it sooner or later, but after owning my LT40 for 3.5 years I haven't had one break yet.  How are they getting broken off on your mill?   

kelLOGg

How do you make sure you have cleaned out all the metal debris from drilling/tapping? Metal debris where there should be grease... well, I wouldn't want to go there.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Paul, I have no idea how the one on the side support got broken,

but I broke the one on the log clamp several years ago pulling this log around with my large chain instead of the small one that I normally use.  I had been greasing it with a needle.

Thank You Sponsors!