iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picking Up New Mill On Friday

Started by wwsjr, May 07, 2013, 06:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwsjr

Got the call today, mill will be at MS ASC on Thursday. I will drive down Thursday, spend the night at the cabin at the Beatrice Sawmill and drive home on Friday. May try to go down to coast for some fresh seafood Thursday night with Tim and Evelyn. I do not have concrete slab ready for new mill. It has rained almost every day for the past week. Mud, mud, and more mud. Got my office/storage building with electrical boxes in place. Mill shed will be 10 X 40 in front of office. 3 phase should be hooked up on Monday. This is my fourth mill, but I am still excited to be sawing again in the near future. Thanks to all the forum members who have supported me during the loss of my mill and the decision to buy another. Pictures to follow.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

John_Haylow

Congratulations. What are you getting?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

customsawyer

8) 8) 8) 8)

Tell Tim and his family I say hi.

Best of luck to you on your new adventure.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wwsjr

John,

LT40 Super with 25hp 3 phase electric with Command Console, Accuset 2, Debarker, and Lubemizer.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

WDH

Now that is doing it right  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodenHead

Nice to see something good coming from what happened.  I'd be excited too!

mikeb1079

wwsjr i was wondering if you had gotten your new mill yet.  congratulations!

forward ever and backwards never

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Congrats Willie on getting your (sawing) life back together.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodandtractors

Willie-Good to hear you're making forward progress! Sorry about all the rain-we've had so little around here(until very recently)it had gotten very dry.
Good luck with your new mill.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

dgdrls

WWsjr,  congratulations,  how was the trip?

Best DGD

bandmiller2

WWSjr,were your outher mills three phase,if not you will be very pleased,nothing like real three phase power.Enjoy your new mill and long may you prosper. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Must be busy setting it up.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

I bet he got caught up talking with Tim and didn't get away when he should have. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wwsjr

I left Tim's place at 4:30 AM, got home 10:00 AM. Didn't see Tim Friday morning before I left. We had spent several hours Thursday night spinning tales.  I had planned to leave about 6 A, but at 4:00, the roosters all took turns crowing, could not sleep thru that. I stayed in the "White House", nice cabin. I have a few pictures but cannot get them to download for some reason, will try again later today. As I posted on weather post, I drove in a downpour for the first 185 miles and showers the rest of the way.

Magicman

It's good to hear that you made a safe trip and now have your shiny new WM at home.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

The new paint really looks good, maybe a little darker orange. I have been told it will last longer than the older paint jobs that faded. It looks strange without the big diesel motor up in the air. The electric motor is about 16" in diameter and 22" long. Hope to be up and running by the end of this month if the rain will stop for just a few days. Got about 10,000 BF cypress waiting to be sawed along with several other smaller jobs. I am ready to get back to making sawdust.

Bandmiller2, this is my first 3-phase, had 28hp Kohler, 34hp Cat, and 51hp Cat on my other mills.

ellmoe

You will really appreciate the electric motor. No fueling, no oil changes, basically no maintenance, much quieter.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Bibbyman

What did you decide for power conversion?  Roto phase or frequency drive?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

Bibby,
I have got power company 3-phase to be connected on Monday. The pole is only 61' from my box. I dug the trench and buried 4/0 to meter mounted on building. I knew the power was there, was not sure of their charges. The power co is hooking me up at no charge, small minumum per month. Main and breaker box was pricey, less than $1,000, but cost of mill was $4700 less than diesel. I think I am going to like the electric. Plan to set up separate hydraulic pump in the future.

Bibbyman

Consider yourself lucky, lucky, lucky!  Our power company wanted $40, 000 11 years ago to bring us 3 phase.  We could pay up front or almost $400 per month minimum charge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

Quote from: wwsjr on May 07, 2013, 07:21:22 PM
John,

LT40 Super with 25hp 3 phase electric with Command Console, Accuset 2, Debarker, and Lubemizer.

Willie
Sounds nice Willie.
Enjoy,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

mad murdock

Congrats on the mill AND the power upgrade!  You will be one happy camper 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

delvis

Quote from: wwsjr on May 07, 2013, 07:21:22 PM
John,

Willie

You'll not be sorry you went with those options!  We have all you mentioned on the LT40 regular save for the electric motor as we need to travel to make some money, but those options make sawing soooo much better.  If you're going to stay in one place all the time you can get away with the standard WM jack stands.  Anyone else who is planning on sawing on the road, I highly recommend the fine adjust jacks.  Actually, I wish WM would just include those jacks standard and offer people a discount if they really think the standard jacks are all they need.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Dave Shepard

I really liked having my mill on concrete. When it was on the slab it had the stationary legs and we took the axle off. No more tripping over the tires or trying to clean up around the axle. Also, you can't stab the loader side tire with the forklift, if it isn't there. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!