iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mold and spalting

Started by bck, March 22, 2008, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bck

I was given some logs that have been cut a couple months and some of them ( the light colored woods ) have some peppery mold growing on the ends. I know generally you would want to get rid of the mold.  But if I was interested in spalting the log wouldnt this be a good start???    Mold is mold right  ??? ???
    Wrap them in plastic and maby throw a couple shovels of dirt and mushrooms on top and let it sit for another month or two???

Radar67

If they already have mold growing on them, I would place them on the ground, in a shaded area, and keep them moist (damp, not dripping). You could cover them with some leaves if you'd like.

There is a fine line between spalting and rotting. You have to keep a close watch on them to decide when they have gone far enough.

Distilled white vinegar, straight, is a good ,natural, mold killer.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodmills1

what kind of logs would be my first question?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

You trying to make something like this?

ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

Yellow birch will be nice and spalted after a year of laying out on the ground. Had a few sticks of those myself. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

Sense is not common

bck

Arkansawyer you got it going on. 8) Thats what I am hoping for. I think I read recently you was spraying beer in the spring.  I am going to try a couple different things this spring. Slicing logs either in half or in 3 or 4 inch slabs and restack with sawdust , leaves, beer, etc...  then wrap up for a month or two or three??????     

I just want to make sure thats what I am brewing , would hate to realize in a couple months I have created a monster or something.  What is on it now looks like mold that you see starting on bread.

Elm, poplar, mimosa, were the logs.

solidwoods

Bury them in sawdust.
Elm slow to spalt, poplar will turn to mush before I can it the post button, mimosa-ain't know,, probably slow to spalt.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!