iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anvils

Started by Radar67, November 19, 2012, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Quote from: doctorb on November 20, 2012, 03:42:35 PM
My daughter weighs 109 pounds, but I am not going to go looking for any numbers/letters code to verify it. :D
:D I think mine weighs 106 but she started out as 4 pounds 2 ounces and 17 inchs long some 36 years ago .

Seems uncanny, me at 6 foot 225 and her momma 5 foot and 105-110 .Short and little won that race or so it seems .

Radar67

Magic, I may be wrong on this, but I have read somewhere that the Mousehole was one of the first anvils to ever be made.

This is an excerpt from "The American Blacksmith" September 1914

Anvil making as an industry was first stated at the Mousehole Forge, Sheffield England. How long ago there is no authentic record but of well over 200 years anvils have been made for the trade at the Mousehole Forge, which for two centuries at least, was the only works of its kind in the world. The first of whom there is a record of having operated the Mousehole Forge in anvil making is the family of Sir John Burgoyne. Then Cockshutt and Armitage, and following them came M. and H. Armitage who operated the forge for over 100 years, The present owners, Brooks and Cooper, have run the works for upwards of 38 years , and are still making anvils that are hard to beat either in quality, shape or workmanship. Although there are now a number of concerns making anvils both in England and America, the Mousehole Forge is unique in several respects. They were the first to make any attempt at standardizing the shape of the anvils and they operate their forge to this day with no other power than that developed by an old fashioned water wheel.

For well over a century there has been practically no change made at the Mousehole Forge. the same old-fashioned helve hammer, or "metal helve" as it is locally termed is still doing duty and is operated by the already mentioned water wheel. The building itself, with its old fashioned solid stone walls and low arched windows and doorways, shows but slight signs of the ravages usually worked by time and are apparently good,. barring misfortune, for centuries to come.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 21, 2012, 09:06:56 AM
:D I think mine weighs 106 but she started out as 4 pounds 2 ounces and 17 inchs long some 36 years ago .

Seems uncanny, me at 6 foot 225 and her momma 5 foot and 105-110 .Short and little won that race or so it seems .

I have a cousin born at 2 lb 6oz, now over 300. If that counts for anything. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Radar, I did not have a chance to try and date mine today, but I have the information printed out.  Maybe in the morning.  I am blown away to find out that my anvil came from the first ever anvil factory.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

You also have a sawmill made at the first ever portable band sawmill factory, right? And a tractor built in the factory that built the first tractor-- or first to be called a tractor.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Magic, you are just a classic and original sort of guy.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Al_Smith

Anvil talk .About 10-12 years ago there was a local auction of the works of an artisian type smith .Made huge door hinges etc for high end specialty doors on million dollar houses etc .They listed several anvils including a miscatalogged 500 pounder which was a 300 in reality .

There must have been nearly 100 hardy hole tools ,more than I've ever seen in my life any where .Kegs full of new horseshoes and 50 interested blacksmiths that came from three states away .This guy had a forge that was 5 feet square and must have held 100-150 pounds of petrolium coke on  each firing .

Would you believe there was a 200 pound anvil in that 50 tons of iron with the heel broken off starting  from the hardy hole .Must have been a giant swinging a big hammer to break an anvil is all I could figure . I'll bet they called him sir .

thecfarm

I still have to check for numbers on it. We never really used ours much. It really only got used during mowing season to put the sections on. I would hold one end of the knife when my Father would pound the rivets down. Memories.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

We had a little piece of railroad iron we used for that .I got pretty good at breaking them so I got pretty good of changing them .

I'll tell ya this when a hay mower and a woven wire fence tangle the fence wins .A steel post will do a number on them too .

thecfarm

My Father always talked about getting a small piece of rail,but never did get one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

More exciting information about my anvil.  The markings on the side indicate that my anvil was indeed in the first generation of MOUSE HOLE anvils and was manufactured between 1820 and 1835.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Now is that mousehole a wrought anvil or lamenated top steel like a Peter Wright ?

Magicman

I have no idea.  A week ago, I did not even know what a MOUSE HOLE was.  I never realized that an anvil could have traceable history.  My research is only beginning.

Magicman

I might add that it does have a very nice "ring".  I have the old "post" vice, bellows, and other stuff at the farm.  I need to build a blacksmith shop.....sigh.  :)

Al_Smith

Blacksmithing is one of my varied and numerious interests ,partly because I like it and partly because of my family history .

I "googled " worlds largest anvil .Supposedly the largest "traditional " anvil was a German made example of 960 pounds .However there was one of 1400 pounds exibited by some company from Trenton NJ at the worlds exposition of 1872 or 1876 .Evidently cast steel with a plate steel forged top like a Peter Wright .

Now there's a gent from Texas who  built a giant of giants welded steel monster of 5280 pounds with a picture .Lawdy you could use that thing to anchor a battle ship .

Magicman

Al_Smith

Some of those iron pounders can really get that rytheme down pat .I never could ,the danged hammer would bounce sideways and try to smack me in the knee ,not good .

beenthere

We used to have a blacksmithing lady on the Forum.
Don't have the memory cells working to remember her name but will give a shot at finding her.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Magicman,we need a picture!!! I need to drag mine out. Been a busy day here with food.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on November 22, 2012, 09:27:26 PM
Magicman,we need a picture!!! I need to drag mine out. Been a busy day here with food.

Did somebody say
FOOD?

thecfarm

By the way,Pie For Breakfast, or I should say Pies.
I dragged it out.Mine must be a Peter Wright, or  Sears and Roebuck.  ;D  It has a lamented top and I was able to pick it up pretty easy. Better down play the weight some.  ::) I would be more apt to say 50 pounds and not much more than that.
I laid my hat by it for size.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on November 23, 2012, 09:21:32 AM
I dragged it out.Mine must be a Peter Wright, or  Sears and Roebuck.  ;D  It has a lamented top and I was able to pick it up pretty easy.

:D :D :D :D
Laminated?

Lamented is a word, just means something different!  ;)

Al_Smith

Well whatever it is it has that typical long horn style and noone beat the tip flat on the horn  .

Okrafarmer

I think there is a slight difference between a standard blacksmith's anvil and a farrier's anvil. Farrier's anvils have a bigger and/or longer round tapered cone, since they spend so much of their time shaping horse shoes. So I was told. My dad's anvil is/was a horse shoeing one. Not sure if he still has it.

Thank You Sponsors!