iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building A Greenhouse

Started by Planman1954, February 19, 2018, 08:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Planman1954

I started work on the floor area around where the sink cedar cabinet is going since my plumber is coming Friday. I leveled up the dirt first and then laid landscape fabric down. I placed concrete blocks where the cabinet will be on the left, along with pathway blocks down the middle. Then I put pea gravel in the rest of the spaces. I left it off where the sink plumbing will come up by the window. I'll fix that after the plumber is done:

Planman1954

Got the sink cabinet set in place. No lower shelf yet... comes after the plumber finishes the sink.

doc henderson

makes a guy want to repot some plants.  excellent work!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Planman1954

Sooo... Since all the lap siding I cut out of cypress is about gone, I need to have a bit more to finish the inside. I decided to use pine for it, since that is what I have available... thanks to Pineywoods! I'll use the last few pieces of cypress near the bottom of the walls, and the pine in the upper...less chance for rot, especially since it is inside.
So this morning I got 44 pieces of 8' beveled lap and about 15 pieces of small width 1" thick from ONE 8' log about 18" diameter. I cut out an 8" wide cant down the middle, and then whittled the two side ovals on each end to get another short 8" cant from the center of both... produced more siding than ever before for me from one log!
The only reason I could do that is the short log length (8') since I have to manhandle the ovals off and on the bed with my back. I took a photo cutting some siding and also of the beginning of stacking it into  the kiln. The kiln is running now, and I'll add the same amount tomorrow hopefully with the next log. I can only make it until 11:00 with the heat down here.

Planman1954

Yesterday I finished the second log,  cutting siding for the greenhouse... thought it would be quick. Nope! First, the log flipped halfway off the other side of the bed while turning. Took me half an hour of wedging to get it back on by myself. Next, as I was finally cutting well, I heard a slight zing as I was going along. I KNEW the log stops were down. Yep... a nail! Got it out, and continued since the blade was still cutting ok. Then I heard it again. Yep! Ok... kept going... another one! Oh well, blade kept cutting, but a bit slower. Finally finished after holding my breath. I really needed that siding from that log! Another fun and hot day at the mill alone. Here's a picture of the first one:

Planman1954

I've been working hard (alone) on the greenhouse over the last month. I'm almost finished. All that's left is leveling and putting gravel and stepping stones on the floor. I also have to clean the windows and door paint off the glass...I dread that job. Tape was not practical with all the lites. I'm not going to build the rest of the interior benches this winter, but will next spring. 

I have to pull off and go do some work on my barn. I had a leak, which resulted in mold forming on the ceiling in a few places. I have a new metal roof now, and it needs fixing pronto. Here's some pictures on my work on the floor area I've started.

Magicman

Quote from: Planman1954 on November 09, 2020, 06:54:09 PMI have to pull off and go do some work on my barn.
Sometime you just gots to scratch where you itch!!   ;D  Your greenhouse looks very nice and professionally done.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!