iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

time

Started by cook, March 21, 2024, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cook

how much time do you spend on the foresty forum ?
ffwave

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmouton

i agree with magicman,,,,,yes
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

well, Jeff is at over 2 years (760 days, 3 hours and 57 minutes).  if you go to the forum icon and scroll to 2nd from the bottom, you will see forum stats, and you can see the top ten folks with the most time on the forum.  we are approaching 50,000 members.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Me too, Yes. ffcheesy

Actually you can check any users time online by going to their profile and clicking on 'show stats'. I have about 201.5 days of active online time with the forum.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm around enough to not feel funny about checking whats in the fridge, putting my feet up or helping myself to another cup of coffee. :thumbsup:
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

thecfarm

I eat breakfast every morning with you guys when I am working. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Better here than FB, Tic tok, instagram or Tinder ffcheesy ffcheesy
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rusticretreater

My sawmill is beginning to wonder who I am seeing on the side.  :crazy2:
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Dave Shepard

216 days, 12 hours, and 37 minutes. And counting. ffsmiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nebraska

I learn stuff here.  ffsmiley  I'll go with the "yes" answer as well. 

Cedarman

Is FB Farm Bureau?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

B.C.C. Lapp

or is FB short for Forest Bum?   Which does sound a little more upstanding than "Woods Rat". ffcool ffcheesy

doc henderson

I see Ted crossed out tinder, as that is important in getting a fire started!   ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

B.C.C. Lapp

Doc, ffcheesy Teds firewood must be testing at well below 20%.   

SawyerTed

FB = Facebook where the sawmill related pages are at best mildly entertaining and at worst full of mindless responses or insults.  

As for Tinder I'm told it offers all the trouble a person wants to find and that sort of trouble isn't offered on Forestry Forum (thankfully).  And NO, we don't need a board here for that, Spandex Sawyers is as far that way as we need to go!  It makes me shudder and my stomach roll just thinking about that!  Uugghh!  

Doctor Emily does great keeping my firewood dry! ffcool
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

I have an awful time keeping my mouth shut to  the stream of stupidity you see on book of faces, but I do. I also never say, hey, you could get some real info on the Forestry Forum, as I'd be scared they might show up.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

I have several comments but hate getting sent to the woodshed!   ffwave

rusticretreater

But Doc, isn't spending time in the woodshed what we are all about?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

somedays!  It is hard to be good. :usa:

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on March 22, 2024, 09:48:04 AMI have an awful time keeping my mouth shut to  the stream of stupidity you see on book of faces
I totally agree Jeff.  I had deleted my fb account about 10 years ago and only recently reactivated it.  Mildly entertaining, as Ted said, is putting it lightly.  zzzz_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

oldgraysawyer

one of my problems is I scan the topics and read for hours not realizing I haven't logged in
I'm actually still on the couch today. Went to the local clinic and got some meds. The wife had to go back for some that had to be ordered. But like most it's hard to keep my mouth shut when so much stupidity rolls off the tongues of others. In fact it has cost me a job or two since I wouldn't let a certain boss treat me like a door mat and the golden circle could skip out early every day with no consequences.

Anyway folks on the FB and other sites give away so much personal data it makes it easy for hackers and scammers to steal from them and they are left out in the cold with there bank accounts empty.

It is a fun place to poke the bear and to set back to see how angry they all get and so quick to make assumptions about what you said and what you mean. It's like they were already offended before you ever made the first comment and anyway I think the folks on here realize what I'm saying since this is a platform about work from folks that do work or at least did some work during there lifetime.

Man this got windy quick. See what I mean about keeping my flap shut ffcheesy 
DB in WV

TimW

I don't spend any time here.  I invest time here.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

DHansen

barbender

I will make a response on the FB Woodmizer page now and again but the Biblical admonition to not cast your pearls before swine is in the back of my mind. There's so many of the "stupid on purpose" sorts on there, but I feel badly for the new sawyers that really need some good advice. 

One of the most common issues new folks will have is boards thick on the ends and thin in the middle. Classic outboard slack outrigger or log stress symptoms, but my gosh the responses..."you have to switch to ripper 37s from Jerry's" "let the logs season for a month before you saw them" You guys would've really got a kick out of some of the examples of "quartersawn" lumber on there the other day. I didn't even bother🤦

Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

It seems that any electrical problem including forward/reverse, up/down, and even the engine starting is related to the hydraulic power strip.  ffcheesy

SawyerTed

On FB they can't figure out why the 5/4 and 4/4 scales line up at points.  A guy posted a section of the scale where they lined up but didn't understand it. 

Responses ranged from defective scales and misprints to wrong end of the scale and Woodmizer's are junk.  There were responses that the only thing that mattered was height above the deck.  One was "that's why it's magnetic." No other explanations.  

YellowHammer

I've occasionally done the FB thing, but whether some of the people there are stupid on purpose or are that way naturally, since I dislike interacting with stupid people, I just stop.  It's too bad for the "normals" there, but I would think, before long, they would figure it out and do their information seeking elsewhere. 

Anyway, it's like a hot spot of radiation of dumb waves, and I have to get some distance.

When people ask me "did you see that dumb post on FB?" I can say "Nope, and why would I want to?"

That is one reason I spend time here, I don't get that same feeling here, I like to spend time with smart people.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

slider

I am with Yellowhammer on this one.
al glenn

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 AMI've occasionally done the FB thing, but whether some of the people there are stupid on purpose or are that way naturally, since I dislike interacting with stupid people, ........
I always think of that FB post a couple of years ago. Some newbie had an odd, but known issue (well, known to many of us here, anyway). I don't remember the details of the issue at all. All of the responses were so far off the mark that is made me (almost) cry. Finally I see a reply from Jake which had a very accurate, concise, and simple explanation of the cause and how to correct it. Then some other guy chimes in that Jake is dead wrong, doesn't know what he's talking about, the solution will never work, etc. Well, I couldn't take that, so I jumped in and backed up Jake's comment and flatly told the guy he had no idea what HE was talking about of Jake's vast experience in such matters. If I recall the guy gave me guff too. A little later, Jake just up another response that simply says " OK, You do You." I loved it. Don't do mental battle with unarmed people, you won't lose, but you can't win.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Machinebuilder

Y'all are making me glad I don't follow the sawmilling groups on FB.

I'll stick to here to learn what I am doing wrong :huh?
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

SawyerTed

Machinebuilder, that's 100% the point, Forestry Forum IS the best source for sawing related information online!   

FB sawmill pages are full of malarkey!  

customsawyer

I only have 162 days and counting on here. Some of us have to work for a living you know. ffcheesy
The truth is, that I can only do the computer thing for about half hour at a time, maybe a hour max, before I start getting fidgety. All I know is that I enjoy this place and appreciate the members on here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Lots of good friends as well.  many like-minded folks.

TimW

When I first got a computer and hooked up the internet, a friend told me to get on FB.  I started the process, until FB asked if I wanted my address book imported.  I ended enrollment right there.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

B.C.C. Lapp

The Market Place can be useful.  I've bought a lot of equipment I've found there.  Other than that I've no use for FB at all. 

barbender

Well, my wife says I only go on FB to pick on people...she may be right? It's better that I go and abuse dummies on FB than come here and act out, right?😂

I mean, there is even a well known own alter-ego called "Facebook Jeff" on that platform, who is known to not be suitable for the Forestry Forum😂 So to any of you that feel like you may have a chip on your shoulder or an axe to grind, may I suggest that you go and unload on Facebook before you visit the Forum? No one on FB will even notice😁

TimW

I had a good friend that was always in FB jail.  He had 3 alias' and once, all three were in jail.
Raise your right hand if you ever were in FB jail.

barbender

I think I have done two hitches in FB jail...the one time was because I quoted a verse from the Bible where two of the apostles asked Jesus if he would like for them to call down fire on a village because it rejected him. Apparently I had used language that incited violence🤷😂

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 23, 2024, 08:45:57 AMMachinebuilder, that's 100% the point, Forestry Forum IS the best source for sawing related information online! 

FB sawmill pages are full of malarkey! 
Tell me its not true!

Only today i learned there that putting beeswax on the blade can keep sawdust off of the lumber.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Maybe you are following more informative pages than I am.  

Let us know how beeswax works out. 

Jeff

I went to facebook jail one time for threatening to kick my own ass if I ever did what ever it was I was talking about that I didn't ever want to do again.  I lost the appeaL because I had threatened violence to my own ass.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

The PC will take up time fast. I can be looking at things. Then look a the clock. Find yourself looking for 2 to 3 hrs. Only seemed like an hour. :huh?
The PC can be a thief of time. ffcheesy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!