iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mother-in-law leaf (Solved American Sycamore)

Started by Jeff, April 28, 2010, 10:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This Leaf was found in Tammy's mom's yard. Any guesses on what it might be?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Brown.

Yes, definitely a Brown Leaf.
Guess you saw that coming. :)

It looks Sycamorish to me, or maybe maplish?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pigman

Looks like sycamore to me. You did say to guess. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Gary_C

Does the tree have any tap holes in the lower stem?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

American plaintree alis sycamore, pretty patchy bark??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

I don't know what it is either. It blew into her yard from the woods near her. Its not a leaf from one of her trees.  She does live right on the Muskegon river so there is a good chance of there being sycamore and sugar maples in the area. Both of those were my preliminary guesses.  The trees she does have in her yard are pretty huge. I think I may have a picture of one. I'll look, but its irrelevant to the I.D. of the leaf pictured.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brian Beauchamp

Sycamore...definitely...neither Sycamore Maple or London Planetree have the margins that extend below the leaf base like that.

bill m

A Norway Maple sapling will have leaves that big and bigger.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ironwood

I suppose sycamore, but also Moose Maple and Striped Maple have extension like that I believe, you are nothern. We have those two species here at 2000' and above on the ridges.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

No, striped maple is entirely different. Not even close.

Picture from way back.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,290.0.html

SwampDonkey

Looks like sycamore to me as well. I have three books and the more northern sycamore seems to have a deep cut in the leaf base than further south. But it's not described as such distinction. But, my Native trees of Canada book shows a deeper cut at the base than Audubon or Harlow et al. I believe that also to be a shade leaf, which can also express different morphology than the norm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I guess I was just saying the tiers extending below the base are also occuring in that leaf.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

icolquhoun

Having more sycamore here than we know what to do with, and being a kid who always loved climbing in them on river and stream-edges I am 99.9% certain that's sycamore

WDH

It is American Sycamore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!