iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

earmuffs

Started by thecfarm, Today at 06:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

thecfarm

Wife needs something while she is mowing.
She does not want to listen to music.
Just a pair of earmuffs to deaden the noise.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No muff help from me.  We both wear earplugs. LINK  This is the same earplugs that I wear sawmilling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I prefer the style where the band goes behind your head instead of over it, makes wearing a hat comfortable. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

I have a pair that is nice foam, and I can listen to the music when no one is around. I am looking for something like what SS said so I can wear a wide brim hat. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

I have a variety of hearing protection.  many made by 3M.  I do have two that can Bluetooth to my phone and play music and let me answer my phone.  It also blunts gun shots, or sudden loud noises, but can amplify voice. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

The 3M Peltor series offers up to 30 db noise reduction.   They are commonly available in both over the head and behind the head style.  

Be wary of bargain brands, the noise reduction rating is not always accurate.  23 db reduction is common in the lesser brands and consumer versions.  23 is sufficient for most mowing and residential/light industrial.

More noise reduction is better, less noise related fatigue for longer duration.  

Ear plugs aren't as hot and sweaty for me.   Noting the noise reduction of the ear plugs is important as well.  Not all are created equal.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

My philosophy is this may (probably?) be wrong but at my age, as my hearing is still pretty good, I am just looking to take off the loud, sharp, damaging peaks in the sound wave, not block it all out. SO I don't get real picky, besides I only wear them for long periods at the sawmill. Shop work is usually short duration. I keep pairs of muffs hanging all over in a variety of brands including 3m and peltor.. I don't like the distraction of music when I am working, except running the log splitter.
 I stopped using plugs almost 2 years ago because of outer/inner ear infection issues. I may try them again now that it's been a while. I like muffs because they are easy on and off. I do not like muffs in the heat, the sweat can make the slide around. Also, they are not as effective with safety glasses on.
 Mostly it seems I use the cheapos from HF because I have a pairs hanging all over. I have a pair in the Mule, in the truck, hanging on the splitter, and various places in the shop. The band on those goes over the top or will swing down around the back of the neck. If I do it right, that band will hook over the adjustment knob on my hard hat and hooks in. This keeps the muffs up and the hat on when things get sweaty.
 YMMV, get what works.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!