iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cancelled meeting with publisher

Started by macurtis, March 07, 2002, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macurtis

After three days in the trenches, Macurtis and I have cancelled our appt. date with the publisher, we've regressed to knowing only about 30% of what their is to know about Sawmilling !!    We have come up with a few do's and don't do's !!    Do have a good chainsaw to back your self up and get your butt out of a jam. Don't try to back a blade out of a bad situation. (scratch 1  blade) !!  Do cut good logs and learn when to say no to BS logs.!! Do not cut several month old dead old logs --(They turn to dust) !!!!!   Do not cut crooked log that are compressed and have several twist's--They have a tendency to decompress and all-but explode and turn into spaghetti !!!!    Do not commit to cut stickers or charge $1 dollars each--They are a  pain in the backside !!    Do not try to offload manually a --3" x 18" x 18'  board unless you want to sing in the soprano section of the choir !!!!!!    We've asked our selves what would Tom and Bibbyman have done in a similar situation and we keep looking at that football--but nah - too many on-lookers !!!! Above all else don't buy a cant hook--figure another way--cant hooks will be the death of you if you're not careful !!!!   The learning experience has been invaluable and what we've experienced they don't teach in books !!  As to who's doing what and in what order--We're  too tired to remember. Took lots of pics. (Will post later) :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

macurtis

One more tidbit--This woodmiser is a cutting machine 8) 8) 8)

Bibbyman

Nah!  You guys didn't fall back.  I think you've learned a lot.  The stuff you learned someone else can't teach you.

About everyday I get confused about something I knew nothing about the day before.  But I figure being confused is knowing more than nothing. :P

On something like the 3x18s mentioned:  We like to have a trailer handy at the end of the mill so we can slide them off onto it without really lifting them.  Or,  we pull up to the mill with the front loader and push the plank off the cant onto the forks.  Without one or the other,  we take a couple of solid 2x6s 8' long and use as skid ramps to slide them down.  They are just too big and heavy to move by brute force. (Unless you have a squad of young Marines!) :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!