iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Solar Generator"

Started by stavebuyer, October 18, 2020, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I was reading an ad for a "Solar Generator"; specifically the Jackery 1000. They are claiming a storage capacity of 1000ah which to an uniformed layman like me equates to roughly 10 Walmart trolling motor batteries and it also serves as a sine wave inverter. Hook up a couple panels and and you have a complete system. So what is the catch?

Southside

If you read the details it's 1000 WH, or 46 AH, so not much stored juice to speak of.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I see that itll power an 'electric grill' but i dont see a 1000W battery cooking much more than a slice of baloney per sunny day. 
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

I miss read the 1000wh as AH. Its actually not even equal to 1 Walmart lead acid marine battery. Now it makes lots of sense.

mudfarmer

Quote from: stavebuyer on October 18, 2020, 10:22:47 AMHook up a couple panels and and you have a complete system. So what is the catch?
The other folks addressed the system size but I will take a stab at this part: The catch is that someone else in a factory somewhere terminated some wires for you!
I have a "solar generator", it is 900Ah of lithium batteries, charge controller, pure sine wave inverter. "Hook up a couple* panels and you have a complete system" ;D

*More than a couple

Ianab

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 19, 2020, 04:02:11 PMThe catch is that someone else in a factory somewhere terminated some wires for you!

And put it all in a nice box with a convenient carry handle. ;)

I can see the point for camping / off-grid cabin / boat use. Want to run your laptop, charge your camera and phone, run a couple of LED lights and keep some beers cold?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!