iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Indoor Wood Boiler Meeting New EPA Step 2

Started by NE Woodburner, November 19, 2021, 11:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Woodburner

I'm curious if anyone out there knows of a good indoor wood boiler, preferably with hot water storage, that meets the current EPA regulations.

I was originally interested in a Garn, but they cannot sell to residential applications at this time due to the EPA step 2 regulations. I've also heard of some potential issues and hassles with water treatment and leaks in Garn boilers, so that is a turnoff as well. I looked into a Switzer and they really look like the unit for me, but they also don't meet the EPA step 2.

Some may say do what I want without permits, but I need to build the outbuilding and when you add that cost to the cost of a new boiler with insulated pipe, heatx's, etc., that is too much risk for me to take on only to have someone come out and fine me then tell me to shut it down because I did it without a permit and it does not meet regs.

There are some OWB's that meet the regs, but I really want something efficient with some hot water storage and the ability to put it inside an outbuilding to keep me and the firewood out of the weather when loading.

Thanks for any input.

ButchC

I can't help you with a brand name but I can assure you that no matter what it is in life lets say an anvil, that if you punch in an internet search "anvil problems" somebody will say they laid a feather on one and it instantly broke in half. I put little stock in internet reviews. If a company has been in buisiness a while they obviously are not putting out junk.

As for inspections and permits that depends on your local. Where I live there is no such thing BUT of you want to be insured you must have thier good graces. I have heard that there are wood fire police in cwrtain areas out west but thats about it.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

gspren

Many of us got a "outdoor" wood boiler and then put a roof over it, mine is open on 3 sides and that has worked well for me. Use metal roofing!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

GRANITEstateMP

we looked into Tarm brand indoor wood boilers (I think gasification??) when we built our house. I was very impressed with there system.  They coupled there system with a giant water tank (insulated, think heat sink) that would have worked great with our forced hot water heat. Unfortunately, we had a construction loan, and the bank said we could have a wood heat source, but it couldn't be our only heat source.  We didn't have the budget for both the Tarm and an alternate heat source, so we got high efficiency propane and a woodstove.  
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

NE Woodburner

Quote from: ButchC on November 21, 2021, 08:15:44 AMI put little stock in internet reviews. If a company has been in buisiness a while they obviously are not putting out junk.

I agree and am not basing any decision solely on internet reviews. Biggest problem with Garn right now is they can't sell a residential unit (according to their website). I would consider them in my search if they did.

Southside

Get half a dozen hens, put a sign at the end of your driveway saying "eggs for sale", and call yourself a farmer.  Works for plenty of other things.  In all seriousness I want to say there was a work around a couple of years ago.  I think it involved buying a coal stove and then changing out the grates to burn wood.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

peakbagger

I just picked up a lightly used Tarm Solo Plus 40. Its in storage right now btu should go in for next winter unless my ancient Burnham dies. 

Nathan4104

NE, I've been looking for an indoor boiler  as well, but for my garage/shop.  I desire heated floors and don't want an outdoor boiler for many reasons I won't get into here. (Currently no floor and a wood stove for heat)
I've found these:
https://benjaminheating.com/products/dutch-oven-models-110-and-180-wood-fired-boilers/

https://biothermic.ca/products/firewood-heating

https://www.royallboiler.com/

2 different designs. 
The rules may be different where you are as to what you can use, that's too bad if so.  
I figured I'd have an electric hot water tank or on-demand as the backup in the shop just to keep it at say 50°f when I'm not around then fire up the wood when I want to work for a few days. Likely not the most efficient but nothing about my job, or life is!! 
I have electric on-demand water heater for my house basement floor and it has worked great and is not overly expensive on kilowatts to use either....

AndyVT

I have been heating our scribed log home for the past 16 years with a Tarm 2000 with 600 gallons of additional water storage. As it is an older unit I don't know that it meets the new EPA standard but it is a relatively clean burning gasifier and with the storage I get 24 hours of heat from it after the fire goes out in sub freezing weather and up to 4 days when the temps rise.
It took me a while to figure out the best burn technique to maximize efficiency, minimize wood consumption and wood handling.
The boiler is connected to our in floor radiant heat system and it also has a back up oil burner for those times when we go away for an extended period or if I am just too lazy to light a fire :D

peakbagger

Tarm pulled out of the US market a decade ago. The Tarm USA importer replaced it with Froling which makes a EPA boiler. Fröling S3 Turbo | High Efficiency Wood Boiler (woodboilers.com) it does not have internal storage and must be fitted with external storage. Its a gasifier with and O2 trim circuit. 

Thank You Sponsors!