iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Fire 2022

Started by Spike60, September 14, 2022, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Thought it might be fun to do this. Nothing for me yet, but thought I ought to kick it off now for the guys north of here in the upper midwest, New England and  Canada.

I typically don't start burning until early October, so I'm a couple weeks out yet. Is supposed to dip into the mid 40's the next 2 nights, but nice sunny days will keep the house from getting cool enough to light up.

And a side topic could be, who's ready and who's NOT ready. :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

chet

Tossed a few blocks in da outdoor boiler about an hour ago. I keep her going 365.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

I am celebrating the fact it didn't hit 90F the past couple of days. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I don't burn much here until October and then just a quick morning smudge for the first month or so. Not cold in the house yet, stays in the 70's with the sun warming it up enough to go all night. Always warmer upstairs and I keep a bedroom window up all the time until we get hard frosts. That can all change year by year, I've seen winter cold set in here mid October, and the last time was 2007.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

As chet, I keep my OWB going 365 too. I just go down in the basement and turn a couple valves to get heat.
Forgot to do it last night.
Not even supposed to get up to 65 today. Was 80 just the other day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maineshops

Woke  up to a pretty cool cabin this morning. Ma just walked in and said "might need a fire tonight" just burn the parlor stove in the fall. Fire up the boiler first of November, give or take. Got about 6 cord in the sheds. Been clearing paths up in the woods so Ma can get around with her 4 wheeler. Turning that into firewood too. We don't walk very far anymore but she does enjoy a joint in the woods. 
Phil:4, 13

Hardknot

First time poster here, have been learning from you guys for a while.  Beginning of the second season on a HeatMaster G4000. Long time woodstove burner before that.  My first fire is usually mid-November. Have `7 cords split ready to go.
HeatMaster G4000, Stihl 271, Huskee 22 ton log splitter, EZ-GO Terrain 1000

Magicman

fire_smiley  First Fire ??

I will be tied for last place.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hedgerow

I heat my domestic water with my Garn so I burn year around. It was 90 degrees here yesterday 68 today and grain harvest is just getting started. We will have a fair amount of AC days here yet.  Very dry summer here crops aren't good. 

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Spike60

Night before last was close for me; down to 43° by morning. But sandwiched between 2 nice sunny days in the 70's so the house didn't chill down enough to lite up. Wasn't far off though. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

GRANITEstateMP

Spike60, does cleaning cardboard and paper out of the basement via the woodstove count ;D If so last week! We've had a few chilly nights but no wood burning yet.  I got 3 window ac units to pull tomm...after we make 3 more cord of customer wood
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

B.C.C. Lapp

Our first fire is usually around the first week in Oct.  And yes I'm ready, stove's and pipes are cleaned and in good shape and Ive enough wood that Ill still be selling dry wood in Feb.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

beenthere

Quote from: hedgerow on September 17, 2022, 04:21:27 PM
I heat my domestic water with my Garn so I burn year around. It was 90 degrees here yesterday 68 today and grain harvest is just getting started. We will have a fair amount of AC days here yet.  Very dry summer here crops aren't good.
Fill out your profile, and then we might know where "here" (mentioned 3 times) is located. Would make your post more friendly to us readers. tks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Looks like we are gonna have a fire here Wednesday.  The heat/misery index is predicted to be 100°. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wlmedley

I don't like to start a fire so I usually wait until I think it's going to stay fairly cold.I try not to let my fire go completely out.Last year started it the first of November and quit mid April.This year who knows.I have been burning up all summer.I'm ready :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

It's not looking all that warm this coming week. Near frost for Monday morning, then cold rain in the 50's the next day. 40F now and rain, almost wet snow weather. :D :D

I have honeybees in the big maple, last time they tried wintering there they didn't make it through the winter, but they landed there too late (September). I think they have been there since July this time.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I caved and built a small smudge this morning with popple and that threw heat for 6 hours. Felt nice to take out the dampness. ;D

GRANITEstateMP

gonna be rainy and cool the next couple days. Not cool enough for a fire, but I plan on getting the crockpot going all day tomorrow, that's a sure sign of fall...right?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

petefrom bearswamp

Burned year round when I had the mill, using Hemlock slabs.
Now shut down in the spring and try to make it to November using either my oil boiler or mini split heat pump when wife gets cold, usually when inside temp reaches 70 degrees
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hedgerow

Quote from: beenthere on September 17, 2022, 09:08:57 PM

Fill out your profile, and then we might know where "here" (mentioned 3 times) is located. Would make your post more friendly to us readers. tks
Here is eastern Nebraska. Its 90 plus in eastern Nebraska today. 

newoodguy78

What kind of crops are you harvesting out your way? 

Southside

Back to 90+ here again, 100 at the Kansas farm, the heat feels more intense than in the past, this got old a long time ago.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

We've had a little break from the heat lately which has been a treat. Can't remember it being so hot and so humid for so long without rain as this year. 
As far lighting the stove haven't even thought about it. Put new pipe on it last year so a quick once over and it should be good. 

hedgerow

Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 19, 2022, 08:12:09 PM
What kind of crops are you harvesting out your way?
Corn and soybeans. There talking we will probably break a temp record today of 100 for this date. Ran a little corn yesterday still to wet. Yield for corn and beans will be way off. We have had very little rain in the last two months. Its drier this year than 2012 was for us. 

Thank You Sponsors!