iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central boiler HDX series

Started by Dan_Shade, September 21, 2022, 06:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Looking for opinions, thoughts on central boiler HDX series. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dad

I don't know how much different the HDX series is to what I've had but I'll give input on my experience with two prior models. 
1. The first model before the EPA changes was quite good. It had just a fire box with a magnetic damper in the front loading door that opened and closed automatically to give or take away draft. It smoked a little but seemed pretty basic and was quite reliable.
2. The next generation EPA model ( roughly 2011 or 2012 ) worked well for the first year. The second year I had problems keeping the fire going. The next summer I was cleaning the creosote out of it and just touched one of the corners with a scraper. It then began to poor water into the stove. The corners on the inside were bent and were very thin from the factory. Long story short... I sent it back to Central boiler and for $2500 they redid the inside of the fire box with the newest design. Once I got the stove back, I put it up for sale. It was better, with thicker welded corners. The local dealer tried to get extra money from me saying the bill was higher than it really was. The bill was actually lower than what Central boiler quoted me ( I talked with two different employees from Central boiler and they are not supposed to talk to the general public but did talk to me anyway ). They both told me it was cheaper than their quote. 
I told the local dealer that I was willing to go to small claims court and received legal counsel that told me I could supeena his and central boilers record to find the truth even though it was just small claims court. All of a sudden, after hearing that he said he and central boiler "covered" the extra cost of fixing it. Both of those reasons are why I now use a soapstone stove in the house now and heat. I do have propane to heat the hot water and to cook with as well as supplemental heat if needed. 
I'm not sure if this helps but I hope so. I honestly do not know how well the new generation is but thought I could help by sharing my experience.
The best of luck to you whatever you chose.

PoginyHill

I have a 750HD. I think the major difference with the HDX is additional refractory in the "reaction chamber" where the wood gas burns; it causes the burning gases to swirl. I'm guessing that might result in more complete combustion. I am happy with mine. Going on year #5 with it this fall. It does a lot better with well seasoned wood. I do clean out the primary air ducts that run along the sides. After a couple years they'll begin to collect creosote and may block air flow. The newer ones have a tube instead of a covered channel in the side-wall, so that may have eliminated it the problem.

There are plenty of threads on the topic of outdoor boilers, including the gasifier type.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Thank You Sponsors!