iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hyd. Pump, Down and Out. All better now

Started by Kevin_H., June 08, 2005, 10:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Well since I have a little extra time on my hands for the next couple of days, I thought I would do a little update on the Hyd pump.

Installing the new brushes was way EZ, I was amazed by how much faster the hyd. responded.

Heres hoping the new engine has the same effect.  :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

KILROY

Just a few comments about the hydraulic pump.

If your solenoid quits and you do not have a spare. Uncrimp the cap and flip the copper washer over. Put the cap back on and it should work. If not clean (flatten) the contacts or turn them over. I just duct tape the cap back on. Save the old solenoids for spare parts.

If the armature gets hot it can lose it's solder and quit working. Takes about five minutes to resolder one. Find a competent starter/alternator repair shop.

The motor is basically a winch motor. Some of those brackets/brushes fit. Compare the new one with your old ones. The negative and positive are reversed on some. They will run real well but, they will run backwards and not pump anything. (Don't ask how I know. ::) It was a very hot day also.

If the hydraulic pump locks up. One of the gears broke. Continuing to flip the handles will burn the armature. Yeah I have experienced that also. Order what you need from the pump manufacturer. It will be half the price than going through WM. They will not send you the parts to fix the pump. they will sell you components that are already fit together. Installation is easy.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Kevin_H. on June 08, 2005, 10:42:32 PM
Thanks for the tip tom, but I dont think I am going to have time to have it rebuilt. Gotta have it going again by saturday. chances are I will order a new one from WM tomorrow and install it friday nite. I could get it repaired and keep it for a spare, but by the time I needed it, I would have no idea where it was.  :D

The brushes went out on my pump motor one morning.  I took the motor out and headed for town (35 miles one way) and let the repair shop replace the brushes.  Pretty reasonable price and they fixed it while I did other errands in town.  It cost me a day's work though.  It was way too cold to be fixing it myself at the customer's site.  Brushes wore out again, also in winter.  Took a full day to get it in to the shop and repaired and back together, so I smartened up and bought a second motor.  Built a wooden box for it to just fit in so it couldn't rool around and get damaged and put that in my truck.  The last time brushes wore out, I swapped motors andwas back sawing in 20 minutes.  Took the old motor to the shop at my liesure, told them I didn't need it for a couple of months (made their day with that, usually people want things fixed yesterday).  Had it fixed that day, put it in the box in the truck ready for the next time.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!