iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028 Questions

Started by homesteader1972, January 28, 2016, 10:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,
I picked up a 028 at a pawnshop at a good value. Its in nice shape, nearly new bar and runs pretty well. I do have an issue with the carb. I almost always have to tweak the low setting every time I use it to get it to idle and run well. After setting it, it runs well enough. My question is: will rebuilding the carb fix this, or is there something else to look at first.

Secondly, to make it a Super, is it as simple as adding a larger piston and cylinder?

Lastly, are there any mods that can be done to it, like a muffler mod, that will improve performance as well.

My 16 year old son, whom we homeschool, is taking a small engine class this year and this will be one of his "projects" for class. He is mechanically inclined and a good tinkerer.

Also, are there any small engine forums out there that are both informative and family friendly (like Forestry Forum is) that we could visit for questions on other small engines.

Thanks Much!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

ZeroJunk

Hard to know with the carb. Several things can cause this.

But yes, converting it to a Super is just a matter of putting a Super top end on it.

nuke1

whenever i get a new project i like to  replace the carburetor diaphragms and fuel line also google the topic and there are many forums out there  , even on this site in the  archives , thats a great saw and good luck
neil

Thank You Sponsors!