Can You Identify This

Started by Radar67, May 24, 2007, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Here's a whatzit for you guys and gals.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Danny, you made me pull the book out for the Latin name...you are correct though. More commonly known as the Silk Tree or Mimosa.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

Stew,

I have many fond memories of that tree.  If I told those stories, it would reveal my poor-upbringing-roots (of which I am vey proud of by the way).  That has to be my favorite latin name........It feels good off the tongue as you say it out loud ;D.  OK............All y'all have to say it out-loud (ALBIZIA JULIBRISSEN) and tell me if I am right ???.  Come on y'all, don't be shy.  If y'all have a better candidate of a latin name flowing off the tongue, fess up ;). 

Your post of that flower brought back some of my most deep seated memories as a child.  Thank you!  I owe you at least one catfish supper, maybe two ;D ;D.  I will pay up soon.  Maybe we can convince DonK to partake as well :D.  Maybe we could drag over the Forum philospher, DanG too. 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I'll be visiting with Don Tomorrow. I am definitely coming to Georgia in October for the Ag show. I too have memories of that tree as a youngun. Used to strip the leaves off the branches for what seemed like hours.

Stew

WDH

Tell DonK that I am jealous of his fine experience at Sawlex.  He did look good in the pics, though ::).

DanG

I have fond memories of that tree, too.  An evermore bigg'un stood right over my Grandma's chicken house.  They were all over the place, and the leaves were fun to play with.  I became less fond of them when I owned some land that had them! >:(

BTW, I don't eat catfish unless I'm by myself, or with somebody. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Speaking of Sawlex and Catfish, Tom and I had some mighty fine catfish at the exhibitors meet and greet friday night.  You Missed out DanG, remember the first one in Ohio?  Free food and beer?  Same stuff only they had some AWESOME catfish. I ate about... Well, lets just say I ate a few. ;D  Then Tammy and I went and had Mexican with Custom Sawyer and Lorraine.  About a pitcher of suds each for Jake and I and I was still thinking about that catfish.

I still say, add a hook, ya got a crappie jig.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

That might work if you could find a hook small enough...wouldn't last but a cast or two though.  ;)

Stew

Riles

My favorite Latin name has to be Catalpa bignonioides. BIG non e oiy dees. It doesn't flow off your tongue, more like it richochets off the insides of your mouth.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

beenthere

And the dendro prof said "Ya better say it right, and ya better spell it right!"   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

My favorite Latin name: Vaccinium stamineum.  Now that rolls off your tongue! :)

I'm also interested in what kind of wood that mimosa bloom is sitting on...Lemme guess, red maple?

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Texas Ranger

Liriodendron tulipifera followed closely by Liquidambar styraciflura.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Quote from: Riles on May 24, 2007, 11:28:04 PM
BIG non e oiy dees.

Riles,

That sure causes your mouth to take on quite a few different shapes ;D.

TexasTimbers

This may be hard to believe since I am so ID challenged but I knew that one. Pretty flowers. I lived in Corpus Christi for two 3 year stretches though. Anyone who lives there knows them. And Oleander. And Chinaberry. Ahhhh the Chinaberry fights we use to have. Trash can lids for shields and slingshots (wrist rockets) for shooting the vaunted berries at each other. Street versus street. High velocity projectile versus eyeball. Ouch.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Phorester

Kill it. Worse than ailanthus.

As far as latin names, Texas Ranger got my favorite one to pronounce.  The Southern way (which of course is the correct way) is Lick-qwid-DAM-bar  Sty-rass-ah-FLUE-wer.

Tom

yeah, sweet smelling, prolific Sweet Gum.

It's one reason an old forester told me to "prepare and plant pines.  You are going to have hardwoods regardless of what you do."  :D

WDH

Some people get insulted when I call sweet gum a weed :).

Tom

I don't get insulted, but I've found some of the prettiest cabinet wood inside of Sweet Gum that a man could every want.  It's a fact that it will come up  most anywhere though.  :D

TexasTimbers

Sweetgum is like the harlot, alright.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Radar67

Dodgy, I haven't a clue what the wood is. It is the box my turning tools are stored in.

Stew

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on May 24, 2007, 08:45:01 PM
OK............All y'all have to say it out-loud (ALBIZIA JULIBRISSEN) and tell me if I am right ???.  Come on y'all, don't be shy.  If y'all have a better candidate of a latin name flowing off the tongue, fess up ;). 

Turdus migratorius comes to mind  ;D

or maybe

Pinus strobus ;)

shy?  Hmmm  yikes_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

Danny, sweet gum and chinaberry (aka tallow, chicken trees) are the most despised weed on the ground I'm living on. Toms right about the gum, it is pretty, but I aint found no use for them DanG chicken trees yet  :-\. If anybody knows what to do with'wm now the time to fess up :).
Stewardship Counts!

WDH

Donnie,  The chinese tallow, Sapium sebiferum, is all over Louisianna.  Some people call that chinaberry and some call it popcorn tree.  We were looking at a potential Mitigation Bank tract in Livingston Parish, and the Wildlife and Fisheries guy from the state said we had to eradicate all the tallow because it is good for nothing, not even for the birds and the bees.

Kevjay,  Chinaberry, Melia azedarach, was a mainstay of my youth.  Stripping the bark off the limbs, so we could fashion weapons  ::), resulted in a distinct smell that you will never forget.  If I have thrown one chinaberry, I have thrown a million :).  Every fence row around here has some.

Thank You Sponsors!