iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big storm last night- we got leveled!

Started by barbender, July 03, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

We had a bad one last night, all the mature timber on our 20 acres got flattened. Thankfully, we are safe and no major damage to our home. The new house is sitting good, our trailer house has about 5 trees on top of it. My folks live just down the road, they have a 24" red pine on their roof, one branch poked right into the house ::) It's sad to see 100 year old trees blown over like this. The surrounding neighborhood has a lot of timber down, there will be a lot of salvage work. This wood will be sawed, any that I get my hands on ;) I'll try to post some pics when our internet is back up.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

Sorry to hear that barbender.
Stay safe, and we look forward to pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riggs

Sorry for the bad news, glad you are OK
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

lumberjack48

Big trees down here in Bemidji, I heard it flatten Diamond Point park, i was just there 4 days ago, big White pine, Norway, Oak ect. I live about 8 blocks from there, I'll try get some pictures today. Took the roof off the house right by us, theres a 2x4 sticking though the roof of our garage.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cypressstump

Thankfully you guys are alright.  These storms lately have become something to reckon with.

Best wishes to all. Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Ron Scott

Very sorry to hear about the storm damage, but glad your're all safe.

Barbender, Do you know a Lee and Carolyn Schaar in the Cass Lake/ Deer River area?
~Ron

Gary_C

Sorry to hear that barbender.

I sure hope our wonderful, super smart and intelligent governor doesn't make the DNR wait till after the holiday to assess the damage like he did last year during the shutdown.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

shelbycharger400

Hope all is well up their.   Havent heard if anything from my mothers cabin in alex  nor from a buddy that has an uncle in Pine River/ Bacus area

not much happened around here last night. lots of wind.  that storm was huge.
I woke up at 2 :30am  to the sound of the siren goin off.    not much happened here.... lol.. til i got home, put the key in the front door and CRASH.. WHAT the..  a  8 inch branch collapsed on a black oak out back.   stupid junk tree, it will grow a branch out 30 ft, but dosnt get any bigger by the tree for support, all of those branches growing tward the house are getting cut down...including 3 or 4 14 to 18 in dia trees (within 10 ft ) that now are deemed by me to be tooo close to the house. 

furltech

Glad your ok .I am always in awe of the power of mother nature.

clww

This has really been a bad 2+ weeks for some folks dealing with the weather. :-\
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

VT_Forestry

Quote from: clww on July 03, 2012, 08:45:33 PM
This has really been a bad 2+ weeks for some folks dealing with the weather. :-\

Ain't that the truth
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Autocar

I moved the skidder back to the job I left on Friday night after our 90 mile per hour winds and about all my skid roads have trees across them. Getting tired of this hot weather for sure  :-\ .
Bill

barbender

We've been fortunate in our area to escape a lot of the natural disasters the rest of the country has been experiencing in the last 10 years. I guess our time was up, but this in no way compares to Joplin or something like that. Just a lot of ruined timber and some homes damaged, and regretfully one life was lost. Ron, I do know some Schaars, but not the names you mentioned.

OneWithWood

Sorry to hear of the damages to your places.

Remember you don't have to clean it up all at once.  Be safe clearing the downed trees.  There will be a lot of stress on those stems and branches.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WH_Conley

Like OneWithWood said.

Just to take an opportunity to people reading this thread. I am not pointing fingers or putting down anyone's abilities. Anyone cleaning up storm damage, dealing with tension wood and spring poles, be very careful. If you are in over your abilities, hire someone that has the experience. At least to take the widow makers out. Be safe guys. 
Bill

barbender

I hear you guys on the dangers of windthrown wood. In fact, I had a bunch of guys from church that offered to come help me clean up, I thanked them but declined because I don't want someone to get hurt. I have equipment, I'll just deal with it at my own pace.

barbender

Sorry I haven't posted any pics yet, I'm still posting off of my android as all of our power and phone service is still out. I've been around the surrounding communities looking at tree removal work, it is truly amazing the amount of trees that were downed, but comparitively few structures were damaged. A lot of places, all that is left is buildings. I think the wind was concentrated about 30' up, that's where a lot of trees snapped. So houses weren't bearing the brunt of the wind. Weather Service is calling this straight line winds, I say bull, it was anything but straight line at my place, I have trees down every direction.

Ron Scott

Three windstorms buffet the Northland

Cleanup continues on the Chippewa National Forest after three windstorms. The July 2 windstorm affected roughly 200,000 acres with 15, 000 acres sustaining moderate to severe damage. On July 4, two more storms moved through the northland hitting the Northern Beltrami county/Effie and Aitkin/McGregor areas. All the windstorm areas still have debris along roadways and heavy equipment and saw teams  continue to work in many locations.

The Chief's Newletter
~Ron

Phorester

Virginia got hammered.  Storms roared through Friday night, June 29. Near Washington DC, 2 people were killed outright; a man driving was killed instantly when a tree fell on his car.  A woman killed in her bed when a tree fell through her roof while she was sleeping.  7 more people died over the next few days from injuries. Hundreds of thousands without power for several days in 100+ heat.  A Boy Scout camp about 100 miles south of us had to close the next week due to trees blown down in campsites, across their camp roads, etc. and their power being out for several days.  They worked it out with our local camp which was virtually undamaged and only lost power for a few hours,  to transfer some of their troops up here the next week.

Interesting, we left for vacation that morning, then the storms hit that night.  I heard about the damage in our Virginia town on the motel TV in Tennessee the next morning. Called the neighbor who was watching our house for us, she reported no damage. Came home to a lot of debris on the roof and in the yard.

My Mother, who lives 3 hours south of us, came on vacation with us. Her neighborhood lost power for 3 days.  All food in refrigerator and freezer lost, but no damage to her house either.

Lots of damage to street trees here, but little damage to trees in the woods that I know about.

Thank You Sponsors!