iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Atv log arches

Started by husky2100, September 17, 2014, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

I'm looking to increase my productivity I manly use my wheeler would a log arch be better I wanted to know if someone has had good luck with them or if there a big waste

beenthere

How much ground do you need to travel, how flat is it, and how much wood do you want to move at a round trip ?? ?

And what is your "wheeler" ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thechknhwk

Here is the one my cousin and I fabbed up.  Well he did most of the fabbing, I cut the pieces, lol.

http://youtu.be/FxbsSr3myRU

I needs bigger tires, which I have, but I never put them on since I got a tractor.

Ivan49

Good job on the fab job. The ones I saw in use they hooked the cable more towards the center of the logs to keep from dragging them in the dirt. I had one guy that use to bring me logs to saw and he had a trailer that was used to haul the big propane tanks. He would bring the logs on it behind his pickup

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

21incher

They are definitely worth building and using if you are moving logs for sawing. When dragging logs out of the woods they usually get mud, dirt, and rocks ground into the bark that can easily dull your blades. With a arch they stay clean, allow a smaller machine to move larger logs, eliminate the ruts you get from dragging a less then perfect log, and allow you to back the logs on a trailer for longer moves. But for firewood, I prefer to cut it up, throw it in a trailer, and leave the mess in the woods. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

John Mc

Quote from: 21incher on September 18, 2014, 12:45:48 PM
... But for firewood, I prefer to cut it up, throw it in a trailer, and leave the mess in the woods. :)

That's the method I ended up with, after a few years of trying various combinations. I drop the tree, use my winch to drag it up next to the trail, buck it up and split it right in to the trailer. 

Occasionally, I'll bring home a trailer load of round wood. Splitting that gives me something to do when I've got a bit of time, but not enough to make a run out into the woods.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

r.man

Husky, everything has its place and if you are doing much wood a log arch can be very handy in some instances. Nice to have choices on how to do any one job depending on the situation. Chknhwk that is a nice looking arch. It seems people either go really heavy with the ability to pick up the whole log or go lighter and pick up one end. I like the look of yours for an ATV, you could throw it around if you needed to.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

husky2100

Thats the thing i want to be able to haul more than one log at a time and on my land its very hilly and muddy in some spots but my biggest thing is go out by or make one or just cut it up in the woods or at my landing up at my house i want to be a little more productive but my moto4 can only do so much ive been really wondering if i should get a secound trailer though

John Mc

Quote from: husky2100 on September 18, 2014, 09:24:56 PM
Thats the thing i want to be able to haul more than one log at a time and on my land its very hilly and muddy in some spots

If the logs are small enough, you can always try putting two of them in the choker, or making a mount for two chokers on your arch. I'm no expert at ATV logging, but I don't think your going to have much luck skidding multiple logs of any size with an ATV, at least in the terrain you describe. If you can get it all the way up off the ground (balanced in a single arch, or use another on the tail end), an ATV will move quite a good sized log. It's stopping it that can be a challenge, especially on a downslope.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

husky2100

Yeah i might just stick with what i know works i dont feel like spending my money right now

John Mc

thechknhwk - that's an interesting arch design. I like the ramp that pulls the log up off the ground. The small wheels don't seem to be causing you any problems in the video. Do they get hung up on rougher ground?

The shape of the arch got me to thinking... I wonder how it would work if the wheels were eliminated altogether, and just bend the bottom rails into a bowed or ski type shape, so they slide along the ground like skis.  I'm guessing cornering might be an issue.  Another thought might be a ski-type deflector in front of the wheels. If you came to a rock or log, it would help the arch ride up and over without hanging up on the wheels or damaging them.

Puffergas

I started by using the tractors sleeve hitch. Then I built a log arch but that turned out to be a pain to use in the close stand that I'm working on. Next I made the attachment that's in the photo. No extra tires, etc, and easy to store and it puts weight on the rear axle. I do need to add some front end weight.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!