What’s for Supper??

Started by Magicman, June 13, 2019, 08:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Doesn't matter, whatever you want.

How about Chicken Soup?

OK, Chicken Soup is fine with me.

Chicken Soup!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

8)Chicken soup is always good, throw in noodles or rice and some vegetables and there's a simple meal
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Chicken soup sounds good, but I don't need no chicken head in MY soup!  steve_smiley

As far as I'm concerned, that's worse than cooking a fish with the head still on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

muggs

It is going to take a year of therapy to get that vision out of my head. :D

rubberfish

Chicken soup is good. Like sawguy21 said. With the extra veggies etc.
But I'll have mine without the beaks and feet please.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Mike W

Chicken soup great on any day.  Spent some time in Southern China on business, all business dealings are done around some sort of food table, (mostly restaurants)  Seemed all meals (three or more a day) included chicken feet which was the first choice to dig into by most, I half expected to see flocks of chickens flopping around with no feet under them as there was always more chicken feet then chicken served (I mean by a lot).  Also fish cheek meat is the best part of the fish, never throw out the head without getting at least the cheek meat out first.

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

We went to a local cafe in Douala Cameroon with friends one night and the dish was really tasty but we did find chicken feet in it. Our Filipino workers in various countries where I worked always ate the feet.

Several years back I started saving the steaks off big catfish. On a 4 lb fish they are about like nuggets but on a big flathead or blue cat they'd be the size of your hand. On a trip to Alaska I found Halibut cheeks on every menu so I decided to call them fish cheeks instead of fish head steaks. Same cut just one seems a little more appealing when you speak it. They are a little chewy compared to the rest of the fillets.

I have eaten sushi and shashimi in Okinawa where the fish was cut up and reconstructed and I'd be eating with the fish looking back at me but that was not as bad as seeing that chicken head in the OP. I think the MM could have left that out of the soup pot and not sacrificed any significant loss of flavor. Kind of like eating a possum - Times ain't got that hard yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Actually that picture was sent to me by a friend who is in China.  At least he was a friend anyway.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

If I went to China, I'd take enough MREs to last the trip. Not interested in eating their food. I don't eat the stuff they ship to USA, and those are the premium goods. Over there, you're lucky to get what it says on the label, not to mention the hidden bonus of heavy metals and chemicals.

Mike W

WV, yea their pallet for food is a bit variant to what most are accustomed to, I ate most of what was presented, man can those guys put away the grub, could out eat me on any given day.  I did pass on a couple dishes which seemed to be common such as pig blood soup and sea cucumber (its a slug after all).  Lived and worked in Hawaii for 10 years, the Asian culture is heavy there as well as the selection of dishes, ate lots and lots of fresh shashimi, savichi, and such which was very good, most are turned off by the texture of the raw food, but the flavor is second to none in my opinion.  I do agree, sure the head of that ole girl swimming in the broth didn't add a whole lot to the dish, to each his own I suppose.  Glad your enjoying those cheeks, they are rather tasty in my book.

As for MRE's, had my fare share back in my old Army days, not so sure of lessor metals and chemicals in them, I really wondered sometime as hunger overcame my undesired benefit to consume, as long as you stay away from the peanut butter spread, it you ate that stuff, no need to visit the latrine for at least a week :o   

WV Sawmiller

Yeah at least in the old C-Rations days you would periodically get a meal with apricots and you were definitely going to have a better tomorrow. Actually the B-1, B-2 and B-3 meals we supposedly formulated by dietitians and were the order in which you were supposed to eat them. B-1 included tuna for breakfast.

In Okinawa we had a trooper who ran afoul of the local constabulary and ended up in the local prison at Nago. We'd take C-rations to him to supplement his normal steady diet of fish heads and rice. One good thing about local disciplinary establishments - when they got out they were a much better Marine and you never had any more problems with them! They were awakened at dawn and had to stand all day and could not talk, hum, whistle or make any other sound so they had plenty of time to contemplate the error of their ways.

I lived, worked and vacationed all over the world and ate and watched others eat some strange stuff. Some of it was pretty good - others less so.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I enjoy trying different ethnic foods, most were very good but some..well, less so. Our ancestors built their diets around what was available, either that or starve, so what is distasteful to us might be someone elses delicacy. Many would be horrified at seeing us eat pork, they learned early on it made them very sick as they didn't have refrigeration or knew how to cook it. Heck, some even eat grits. ;D

Mike W

C rations - used to be the main meal was what is now known as Spam if I am correct, funny thing, until I was living in Hawaii, I never knew there was so so many variations of Spam flavors, in fact, there are whole isles dedicated to just Spam in most markets there, we called it the "Hawaiian Steak", in fact even McDonald's served Spam and eggs with a side of rice.  I enjoyed visiting what would be thought of as a "one shoe fits all places" like McDonald's when in Japan and Hon-Kong, just to see what was on the menu.  You sir are a worldly person and have experience what most will never have the privilege to encounter, kudos to you for having that opportunity, I have greatly expanded my understanding in the few countries I have traveled and worked in, an experience that can not be replicated.

sawguy, makes me think of our forefathers whom would feed the slaves shell fish like lobster and crab as a substandard foot source as they are bottom dwelling feeders, must have been at some point an elite whom when opening the ice box that was emptied and resorted to consuming some of that sub standard food source to then realize what a delicacy it was and became a premium in today's markets.

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

There was a meal called Ham slices in juices if I remember correctly that was similar to Spam but each meal was different. There were maybe 12 different meals in a case of C-rations. Each meal had several cans with individual meal components including the main meal, a can with cookies or "Gorilla crackers" and in this same can you had a chocolate candy bar or a pack of cocoa, a little can like a small can of shoe polish with jam or peanut butter (The peanut butter probably killed more US Servicemen than the VC), and a can with a dessert like pound cake or fruit cake and a can of fruit cocktail or apricots. Main courses I remember were Ham and eggs, tuna, ham, Beef or pork slices in gravy, Ham and beans, etc. There was an accessory pack with a pack of paper matches, a plastic spoon, a little roll of toilet paper, a chicklet-like piece of gum, a toothpick, a heat tab to heat your meal or coffee (Hardly ever lasted long enough to do both), a pack of instant coffee, sugar and salt (I don't remember if it had pepper but likely did) and the older ones had a pack with 4 cigarettes. They might have even had a tiny bottle of tabaso sauce but that may have been in the MREs. Each case had 3 or maybe 4 folding can openers (John Waynes to USMC - P38 to Army) about half inch wide and 2 inches long with a hole in one end to dip in hot water and sterilize it (which nobody did). You'd open the can opener by flipping it open 90 degrees and to expose the point, fit it on the rim and open the can. It worked pretty dang well. You first opened the can with the gorilla crackers and dumped them out and cut some air holes in the side and squeezed it to an oblong to make your "stove" put your heat tab (or a piece of pilfered C-4 explosive pilfered from a Claymore mine or such - which might later result in a pop instead of the expected explosive results needed) in. You'd open the main course but not cut the lid completely off - leave an inch or so of metal and fold it back for a handle. Put it on your stove, light the heat tab and heat and stir. You better have your canteen cup with water ready to try to heat before the heat tab burned out. You never got the right mix in a meal - the pineapple jam was not in the unit with the ham slices so we had a lucky locker with the odd leftovers for proper C-rat gourmet cookery.

I think about 6 cases of C-rations laid side by side made a bed about 6" high and 20 inches or so wide and 6' long which kept you off the ground and was actually more comfortable than a rubber lady (air mattress) that always leaked down overnight anyway. If you could get the sleeves off a pallet (48 case bundle) of C- rations you were set for the best mattress available. The homeless people sleeping on cardboard in major cities know what they are doing.

Okay, enough reminiscing about times that were really not that enjoyable at the time anyway and back to boiled chicken heads in the soup.
Howard Green

lxskllr

I use p38/p51s as my main can openers in the house, and keep one on my keychain, though I usually use my Swiss Army knife when out. Never had C-rats, but I love MREs. I keep one in the truck for emergency food, and sometimes take one for lunch as a treat.

Raider Bill

I was just dreaming about a nice C rat can of ham and mothers said nobody ever.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

:D I used to pack the mandatory survival kits for helicopter crews, they contained tea, instant coffee, powdered milk, soup mix, sugar, salt, instant hot chocolate and high energy protein bars. Those things tasted like tofu, horrible but what a kick! I would get complaints like "Can you put something different in, I don't like vegetable soup". Hey, this is for survival in an emergency, I'm not sending you on a camping trip. ::)

WV Sawmiller

We used to always turn the case upside down so no everybody picked blind. Only thing was the old Staff NCOs all knew exactly which position where every meal was located so it was only the officers and junior troops who really got a random draw of what was left after the senior enlisted had already picked over the good stuff. I guess we could have shuffled them around but did not think of it.  My wife used her John Wayne for years as our primary can opener and we had guest over one night and the other lady was going to open a can of beans or such and Becky handed her a John Wayne and the lady was thoroughly confused. We always had one on our key ring for a screw driver, paint can opener, can opener and weapon of last resort. :D
Howard Green

caveman

Dang, Magicman, your chicken soup has evidently had most of the FF fasting for the past week and a half. 

We typically have Sunday supper either at my house or next door at my parents'.  

I did not get a clean plate for seconds.  We had baked beans, yellow squash, ribs, homemade cornbread, and fruit salad.

Right before they got wrapped.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!