iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well my second mill is finally up and running

Started by samdland, March 28, 2005, 08:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samdland

Been a while since I have been here, but I thought I would stop by and show you guys my newest mill.
http://www.dyndnsservices.com/sawmill. Shes done (well except for the blade shields.) She is mighty big 42 inches from guide to guide. 20 foot track, Hudson style carriage, Linn style head. She made mince meat of a seasoned white oak, and cut a pine like butter.

My only complaint are the dogs, any of you guys got some ideas for quick and easy log dogs. Mine design is a bit time consuming, and I would like to replace them.

Also I will have plans in a few days if anybody wants a copy. My costs to build were right around $2,300.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

samdland

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 28, 2005, 09:43:09 PM
That a 13 HP engine ??

Well yes it is. I had hoped to get a 16 but one must do what the funds permit. I personally have not even noticed the engine bogging down at all even on large logs. A 13 seems fine to me.

RacinRex

Where you planning on selling the plans? I'd like to see them simply for educational purposes as I've already got a mill. Good on and a great looking mill you have there.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

jrokusek

Very nice!  How do you tension the blade?

How big is your angle iron for the bed? 

Jim

samdland

3/8" X 3" X 3" angle iron was used for the track. The tensioning is done with a 1" bolt, could easily be replaced with a hydraulic tensioner. The mill head is basically a clone of the Linn mill head only larger as are the guides.

I may sell the plans in the future, for now they will be free.

RacinRex

Well when you do have them available I'd love to take a look. Nothing more fun than building stuff and checkin' out other peoples built stuff.  You really have a nice and simple mill there.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

T_in_SC

Great job on the mill.  What size wheels and blade did you use?

Tom

What do you have in mind for the Safety equipment, like the blade shields?

Dan_Shade

I was wondering the same thing, after I sliced my finger uncoiling a band, I decided there was no way I'd be around a saw without shields...

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

samdland

Shields are in the works, steel is very expensive two 4X8' sheets of 14 gauge are right around $200.00. There coming, and your right working around a open saw head can be dangerous if you dont watch what your doing.

The blade is 15.7'X1.25" 19" band wheels.

samdland

Tom

Yeah, You and Deadheader.  This should be interesting.  Y'all having a race. :D 

Deadheader has a head start and I think about has it all figured out.  He's sure been asking a lot of questions this past year. 

Just be careful building a circle saw type mill.  One of those round blades gets loose and it could do a lot of damage before something finally gets it stopped. :)

Thank You Sponsors!