iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old woodmizer drive belt fit question

Started by woodrat, June 26, 2022, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrat

I have a 1996 LT40HD, and instead of the Onan 24 that would have been original on it, it has a Kohler 25 that has been on it since I bought it many years ago. 

My drive belt is pretty dang tired, so in 2020 when I was doing a bunch of repair work on the mill, I ordered a spare drive belt to have on hand. Just went to replace it today, and the belt that I got from WM is way too long. 

Belt that they sent me is a 2BX74. Unfortunately I can't read the letters on the old one anymore. 

The Briggs 18 hp engine that would have been the other option in that year uses a 2BX72 belt according to the online parts catalog, but I'm not sure even that one would be short enough. 

Anyone run into this before that can tell me which belt would have been used on a Kohler upgrade on one of these old models? 

I did a Kohler 25 swap on my first mill which was a 1995 LT40 that originally came with the 18hp, and I must have solved this belt issue back then, but that was about 20 years ago, so... 

Thanks!
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

KenMac

Take your old belt to a power transmission company such as Motion Industries or other similar company and let then match it for you. Get Gates brand if possible. My Opinion only- others may prefer other brands.

Edit: Some auto parts stores may be able to do the same thing for you.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

TimW

Sounds like my experience with the drive belt on my LT40 with the Yanmar diesel.  Wrong belt (a little long) installed at factory and the brake came new with it adjusted to the max adjustment.  The correct belt was a little shorter and for TIER-IV diesels.  Someone put a belt on for a TIER-III diesel.
  hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Gere Flewelling

Woodrat- I would suggest you take your old belt to a NAPA auto parts store.  They should be able to match up your old belt with a new Gates belt that will be very close to the old one.  I have successfully done this for many belt applications over the years.  These days, you may have to order one, but here in New England NAPA can usually get items overnight from a local warehouse.  Once you find the right belt, be sure to record the part number with a sharpie somewhere on the mill for future reference.  Good Luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Thank You Sponsors!