iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Quitting but Slowing Down

Started by Magicman, July 01, 2021, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

Maybe it's time to teach Luke to run the mill and one of his buddies to off bear. Of course grandpa would still keep a percentage off the top. Just a thought.

Magicman

I have 22 personal logs to saw and Luke will be behind the wheel.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wane One

Mr MM,
Lynn,

I have really enjoyed reading all about your milling jobs\and the rest of the chatter on the FF over the last couple years.
I thought I knew a lot after 30+ yrs in the sawdust.
Every time I logged into this site I learned lots big time.

Good on you to keep your cutting within your Life Needs.
We only have a bit of time...

Hope to meet you n Pat at the 'roast'.

Best
Wane One
Fish Ranch MillWorkZ
Oakland CA
Lucas 10/30 swing blade sawmill. Izuzu NRR 12' flatbed Dump truck with 4000# grapple boom loader. Multiple Stihl saws, joiners, planers, ripsaws, etc.

paul case

Hey there Lynn, 
Dont think too much about slowing down. We here at the Case place have turned away all custom business for the last 6 months. We have still gotten several folks that try to bring me logs to saw for them. I even have quit buying logs that show up from who knows where. 

I did not say we quit sawing. We have not. We are sawing 4+ days a week and producing more than normal since we only have a few sizes that we saw so the numbers are most the times the same. Enjoying life a little more. 

My dogs get tired. My muscles do not work as long before we are worn out. Scott and Dakota are great help and Scott does most of the sawing. Willie's mill has 5k hours now. 

Take up videoing and make some you tube money. With your following on here you would have a few thousand subs in nothing flat. 

Just how I see it .
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Thank you Paul and it's good to hear from you.  My business profile will be the same....except different.  smiley_dizzy

Still sawing mostly framing lumber except closer to home and hopefully fewer days.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DbltreeBelgians

Happy Birthday Lynn 8)   and enjoy the slowdown.

Brent

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Nebraska

Happy Birthday  thank you for all the free learning.

Andries

Quote from: paul case on July 13, 2021, 09:57:15 PMHey there Lynn,
Dont think too much about slowing down.  . .  .Take up videoing and make some you tube money. With your following on here you would have a few thousand subs in nothing flat. . . .
Salutations on your birthday, young man!
Best wishes and good health for many years to come.
Paul is hitting the nail there, MM.
If you run a search in YouTube for good quality footage on how an expert runs a mobile bandsaw - well, it's dissapointing. There has to be a big demand for that kind of material, with the record number of new mills being sold.
I've enjoyed the "Essential Craftsman" series on YouTube. A quiet voice that lays out what's going on and plenty of footage to show the concept. 
Mr Yellowhammer is is also putting out a few excellent programs, and each video he produces is better than the last.
 Is Luke handy with a camera? It'd take some experimenting but Paul's suggestion is a good one - to pass all the know-how along to the next generation.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

trimguy

doc henderson

happy birthday.  now that you are 78, I think you should slow down a bit!   :o :o :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brian C.

Happy Birthday, Lynn. I hope it was enjoyable. 
Now I have a question, will we see you and Miss Pat at the Pig Roast?

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thank You all for the kind words and Happy Birthday Wished.  PatD and I enjoyed a nice Fried Catfish lunch today.  food3

Quote from: Brian C. on July 14, 2021, 03:53:45 PMNow I have a question, will we see you and Miss Pat at the Pig Roast?

No sadly we have other obligations and will not be able to attend the Pig Roast this year.

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

I made a site visit and turned down another job yesterday.  Thankfully this happened to be only a slight detour and no dead travel expense.  I already had pictures from the log owner so I was simply verifying my decision. 

Turning down jobs is a strange occurrence for me.  

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

What was the reject cause? Too big, too small, bad location, too far away, customer couldn't cook? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

They weren't what I considered to be "logs". 

A knotty knocked out 11' Magnolia "log" in the front yard and....

these 6'-7' Pine "logs" in the back yard.  I would usually saw and scale them as 8' but nope, I ain't sawing any of them.

I did pick up what sounds like a nice Oak job this morning, and declined two.  One (5 Oak logs) was 155 miles and the other (framing lumber with lodging) was 109 miles.  I'll saw the good stuff that is close and cull the rest.

doc henderson

Where was Luke?  will he join the FF and if so what would his handle be?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Luke is working with/for (Son) Marty.  I only had him borrowed for that last job.

WV Sawmiller

155 miles? But I thought ... Oh, never mind. :P
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Nope, not anymore.  I have pictures of the logs and I could leave home early, drive, saw, and drive home in a day, but if I am going to change my way of thinking, those loong days are in my past.

Okrafarmer

Congratulations, MM, on your deliberate management decision! I'm glad you are able to make this decision instead of it being made for you.  ;) 

The magnolia log would have been my specialty, but they can keep the truncated pine stubs.  :-\

I'm finishing up a 6,000 +/- bf yellow pine job right now. We decided, very firmly, that we will not take our new mill mobile--people can bring us the logs, or it won't happen. They keep on bringing them for some reason..... Can't wait to get back into some retail logs next, probably some walnut as we're running out of dimensional walnut to sell and have some logs in.

If you ever come through South Carolina, come see me!

:)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on July 15, 2021, 10:07:16 AM
 saw the good stuff that is close and cull the rest.
That is what I did from day one decades ago. Always had a ton of work without sawing the junk logs.
No matter what they wanted to give me in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

I like your plan Lynn,
I hope you had a great b'day with PatD.

D

Thank You Sponsors!