iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Quitting but Slowing Down

Started by Magicman, July 01, 2021, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn,
I understand your decision fully.
Thank you for all your help to all us budding sawyers.
I hope to at least do half of what you have done at your age.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

Nothing to be down about- more time for family and enjoying life. If anyone has "been there and done that" with a Woodmizer, it's Lynn. I'm happy for you!
Too many irons in the fire

donbj

You're a Rock Star Magicman. You earned some time off! You just need to test those 1 1/2"ers yet though :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

John S

Congratulations and thank you for all of the useful information that you have provided for us youngsters!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

YellowHammer

Congratulations on the decision.  Now you will have more time to spend on the Forum to help us.  8) 8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Congratulations on your slowdown Lynn!    8)
You've got me by a few years, but two years ago I made the same decision, to cut back and slow down!

I Had a guy about 6 miles away that at that time I just couldn't get to, so after a lot of talking and asking questions, he decided to buy a new LT35HDG25 and enjoys it!

He still asks a lot of questions, but I love answering sawmill and milling questions when I can!

I've referred MANY of my sawjobs over to him!

Now I have spare time and even sharpen his blades.

I may sell my mill in the next few years, but I do think I'll keep my sharpening setup!

A guys gotta have something to do!

I just finished a 6,000+bf sawjob yesterday, and have another 3,500bf job about 3/4 mile from home, and he's not in a big hurry!  ;D

Enjoy life my friend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thank You everyone for your kind words and I ain't leaving.  I just refused a $55K business sellout which would have been for both my sawmill and my website.  Then another inquiry this morning.  ::)

I'll just keep on keeping on and that 106 mile guy with the burned skid steer called and that finish-up job is scheduled to begin Aug 2nd.  It doesn't end...... ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KenMac

If I were blessed enough to be in your situation, I think I would enjoy hooking up the camper and becoming a "Traveling Sawyer Consultant". May be good money in it, too.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Or at least a few more good home cooked meals. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

711ac

First of all, Happy birthday 👍
Smell the Rose's a little, then saw a little. Sounds like a good plan.
Maybe woodmizer needs to find and hire a fine southern gentleman, give him a nice RV and a mill to tow around the country to events and represent them at shows.
I don't think they could find a better representative than you, Mr. Beenthere Donethat (aka)
Magicman.

Rhodemont

When Knothole Consulting comes to the Northeast sign me up...I could use some consultation.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Danmcc

If you come to Charlotte, NC I'm up for a consultancy. Congrats on slowing down, life's too short to not enjoy your time. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on July 05, 2021, 10:29:14 AM
Thank You everyone for your kind words and I ain't leaving.  I just refused a $55K business sellout which would have been for both my sawmill and my website.  Then another inquiry this morning.  ::)
I have a standing answer when people offer to partner or buy me out.  I say:
"Sure, $5 million and its all yours, even the house and property."   :D :D

Nobody's taken me up on it yet, but if they do, we're gonna have a party at the nearest Applebee's.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

I can see it in the news already when the sale is complete - War Eagle Hardwoods in New Market Ala is now open for business.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KenMac

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 08, 2021, 05:51:36 PM
  I can see it in the news already when the sale is complete - War Eagle Hardwoods in New Market Ala is now open for business.
Then I might even drive the 120 miles and buy something!! :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

fat olde elf

You and I are blessed with wonderful wives.  I'm sure that your decision was based on several consultations with Pat.
I celebrated my 84th birthday on June 22.  PTL  Bonnie turned 85 in February. We both attended church on the last 2 sundays in over a year......She bought me a new suit, first one in over 35 years. 

Congratulations to both of you on your decision !!  Life is good..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Maybe I could get into the tree removal business.  It's an MS881 and comes with a 60" bar and is only $2,000.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Better grab 2 in case one gets pinched and you need the other to cut it out. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I'm trying to envision wedging the trees you are cutting with that bar. Maybe those are the ones where you cut a notch in the tree and use a car jack to lift. 
Howard Green

doc henderson

i have that saw/bar combo, and make the same face each time I pick it up!   :D :D :D   :o  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Before you buy that saw you need to ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Can I mill the logs once I get them bucked to length?

2. If the answer is yes, can Luke carry the boards when we cut them? 
Howard Green

doc henderson

I use it to rip saw logs in half so I CAN put then on my mill.  big cottonwood, maple and Elms.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

If I bought it I would have a put a Reply in the "Dumb" topic.  :o  8)

Magicman

I have gotten a few questions regarding my slowdown and maybe a sorta explanation is in order.

My decision was to quit sawing "out of town" jobs that require overnight stays which fairly well eliminated jobs over 50 miles away.  (I have rescheduled one unfinished out of town job for Aug. 2nd.)

My situation is that my sawing business has simply outgrown my ability to saw them all.  I guess a good problem if I wanted to saw full time which was never my intent.  I finished a 6200 bf job Thursday and decided not to saw until next Thursday, after I turn 78....Yup, a week off and folks waiting for me to saw.  ::)  I said "health reasons" and that is accurate enough for me and certainly not arguable.  :)

doc henderson

seeing you wield that chainsaw, you must be dong something right.  It is of course your decision no matter what the reason.  It will be good to spend less time away from home, while you do still have good health.

Thank You Sponsors!