iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squash died unexpectedly

Started by VB-Milling, July 13, 2021, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

More important when you apply something than how. The borers wouldn't bother you if you replanted now. I think around here the danger time is June. Once their life cycle  is complete you're not in harms way. Best to get some local input from an extension agent or a knowledgeable person at Southern States. 

Diatomaceous earth is a good idea too. I never used it but it would have been a good idea.  I think it would take care of next year's problem too.
HM126

mike_belben

Late to the party but i knew it was gonna be vine borer when i saw that sad plant.  Theyve ate my yellow longnecks many times. 

Ive got butternuts ready to snap the strings this year with no sign of harm from the flea beetles, june bugs or borers.  Maybe give butternut a try. 
Praise The Lord

ESFted

I'm in Yorktown and have been growing squash and zucchini in raised beds for years.  I try to plant early in the spring so I get some produce before the vine borers attack.  I've never had any luck preventing the borers, but have had good luck running a straightened paper clip up and down the stem after I see the hole where the borer goes in ( you can tell by the frass coming out of the hole).  Also, if you cover the vine with dirt every few feet, it will root and keep growing and producing.

This year I tried injecting liquid BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) into my squash stems before the bugs arrived and have had really good luck with that technique.  No apparent harm to the plants so far.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

btulloh

BTW, the borers won't mess with butternut squash. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!