The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: assembling my new sawmill  (Read 4014 times)

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
Re: assembling my new sawmill
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »
Today I pulled the steel shipping crate out from under the trailer frame, added the 5th and 6th jacks, then I added some of the cross braces that attach low on the 45 degree angle on the frame siderails. I still have 2 more regular ones and 2 or 3 specialized ones, then I'll add the axles and wheels. Getting closer, but the next 2 days I'll be doing more syrup. The sawmill will have to wait. After the next barrel (bourbon aged maple syrup) is all bottled I can return to working on the sawmill.
The temperature has moved into the comfortable range which helps quite a bit.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2021, 08:52:29 PM »
Today I worked on syrup, all I got done on the sawmill is add the 4 carriage stops I had missed in an earlier step. I'll likely be 2 more days bottling, labeling, pricing and repacking into cases on all of the back up stock. Then I'll add a portion of the stock to my store inventory, including the new size I've added. After that I'll be back to working on the sawmill assembly. If all goes well I think I'll finish and be ready to saw some lumber sometime next week.
While I've had the mill for 2 months now, in reality I've only put in about 10 hrs into assembling it, on day 1 only I had the help of my 12 yr old grandson for about 1.5 hrs. After that his football practice as school started went to every day right after school, until 5:00, then he had supper and homework to do.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2021, 07:51:13 AM »
Today I worked on syrup, all I got done on the sawmill is add the 4 carriage stops I had missed in an earlier step. I'll likely be 2 more days bottling, labeling, pricing and repacking into cases on all of the back up stock. Then I'll add a portion of the stock to my store inventory, including the new size I've added. After that I'll be back to working on the sawmill assembly. If all goes well I think I'll finish and be ready to saw some lumber sometime next week.
While I've had the mill for 2 months now, in reality I've only put in about 10 hrs into assembling it, on day 1 only I had the help of my 12 yr old grandson for about 1.5 hrs. After that his football practice as school started went to every day right after school, until 5:00, then he had supper and homework to do.
Tough to find the time.  Hope you have a chance to get it assembled next week.
Looks like they resent the email about the update to the blade tensioning and tracking procedure yesterday.  Make sure you follow that process when the time comes.
HM126

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
That toe board accessory I ordered on Aug 24, arrived 9/30/21`, less than 5 weeks, not bad. When I ordered it said shipping by Nov 30, thus it arrived 2 mos early.
I see it rides on the track,on each side, but it sets on the bottom, flat, not up on top of the track. It is portable, so I can place it on either end as necessary, thus I don't need 2. It has a hand crank and also can be driven using an impact driver cordless tool. It just happens I own 5 of them, and one is rated DeWalt's highest torque of any brand of cordless 1/4" impact drivers, it should do well. I also have a DeWalt cordless 1/2" impact driver if needed, or I have a pneumatic 1/2" impact and most of the time my sawmill will be within air hose reach of my shop.
I ran into a health issue on 10/1, woke up with diverticulitis, still on antibiotics but it feels normal now. I'll be back to working on packing the rest of my bourbon barrel aged syrup in the next 2 days, then back to assembling the Woodlander HM130MAX again.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2021, 08:42:48 AM »
I sort of finished the base, I am calling it the base because I got in a hurry to do one project. I assembled the trailer to the point that the trailer frame and the tracks, the log bunks and the trailer frame braces are complete, but I didn't yet add the axles, tires and other finishing touches to the trailer. Then yesterday I started assembling the mill head. At this point my plan is to finish the mill head carriage, stand it upright and lift it onto the track tomorrow if all goes well today. Then I'll set an oak slab I've been needing to resaw to remove a curve it took on while drying, then finish the project I'm doing with that, and after that is finished I'll go back and add the rest of the trailer build to make it portable. I'll get some pictures today.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2021, 12:35:12 PM »
I got my sawhead stood up and the rear posts  are attached to the base carriage, after lunch I'll attach the top of the frame that connects all 4 posts at the top.
I did take a couple of pictures and however far I get today I'll take another picture or 2 and upload them to my gallery so I can post them. I'm hoping to be ready to set the sawhead on the tracks tomorrow and to be ready to saw this week on the slab I need to flatten. After that I'll just lock the sawhead down and go back to finishing the trailer assembly. Lots of little stuff for that and until that is finished I can't put any logs on the mill. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and I don't hear a train coming.
Once this is ready to saw, I've got some Hemlocks to fell. I won't need all of them yet, but I counted about 25 at 20"+ DBH in my woods. The first of them will be made into a pavilion type roof for me to keep the sawmill under, and to saw under too. After that it's a toss up, I plan to build a small sawshop adjacent to the pavilion roof just to keep my sawmill tools, my planer and sawmill accessories. I slso plan to add an addition to my 14x28 shop, it will be 16x32' and be attached to the side of the existing shop. I'm trying to decide how to do that. My 14x28 shop is a shed with a wooden floor, thus it likely moves with the frost, the addition I'm planning to make it a pole barn. I'm not sure how the handle the movement between the 2. Any Ideas?
I also plan to build another storage shed to house my ATV and some other equipment. That will replace a 10x10 tent shed that collapsed under the snow load last winter, after doing ok for about 10 years.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
Today I got the sawmill head stood up on the tracks. I still need to adjust the frame and then torque the bolts. I also still have several smaller things to do, maybe I can finish those tomorrow. If I do, I'll take the slab down the next day and flatten the surfaces, top and bottom. Once done, I'll final shape it. I did one corner to decide how I wanted it to look, 3 more to do. I'm likely going to route the top outer edge in a slight rounded shape. If that goes well I'll take the slab back home to sand it smooth and then epoxy it.
I did get 2 pictures today, I'll upload them tomorrow and post them.
Once the slab project is done, I'll finish the sawmill/and trailer, then I'll saw some lumber, finally. It will be nice to be making lumber again. I think it's been 4 years since I used my Peterson, then i sold it last May. Now I have lots of projects planned. First a 16x32 addition on my shop, and followed by 2 smaller storage buildings, one by the normal resting spot for the sawmill, the other to replace a collapsed tent shed.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »
I now have the saw head on the track/trailer, oil in it and gas, battery hooked up too, still doing little things. Today I added the second of 3 log clamps, working under my tarped pavilion, (it's raining). My plans were to add the third log clamp, re-torque the frame bolts and fire it up, BUT, the mosquitoes drove me out. I do have a 30" pedestal fan but no way to get it under the pavilion roof. That makes to too hard for mosquitoes to fly. When I build my sawmill wooden pavilion it will be set up for the fan. My 15+ acres are about 20% wet land, with all of the rain 2021 has brought us, those pests are the worst ever. I guess , being at the head waters of that water flow makes it so I at least don't ever flood. The mosquito problem will end with the first hard frost.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Started assembling a new to me lane sawmill

Started by Ventryjr on Sawmills and Milling

52 Replies
Last post October 15, 2021, 08:55:26 AM
by moodnacreek
xx
Assembling quilting machine

Started by beenthere on General Board

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2006, 11:27:24 AM
by red
xx
Assembling King Post trusses.

Started by Raphael on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 04:13:37 PM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)

Started by mmhailey on Timber Framing/Log construction

28 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 11:38:24 PM
by mmhailey