iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my own old school "setworks"

Started by fluidpowerpro, September 23, 2021, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

I decided to build my own version of an old school types of "setworks". It will use low tech limit switches that will run on some cams I machine. I know that there are more modern ways of doing this, but this technology is what I understand and can fix later on if I need to.
The set up will allow me to have 11 preset board thicknesses that I can select with a rotary switch. It will be used with the electric winch I have already installed on my mill.
Here are a few pics of what Ive completed so far. I'll update as I go.

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

VB-Milling

Now this is super cool. Looking forward to more updates
HM126

Crusarius

That is a super kool concept. never thought of doing it that way. 

Ever think about using a few scroll wheels off some old mice for a rotary encoder?

Very interested in seeing the cams you come up with to.

fluidpowerpro

I didnt know you could use a mouse wheel as an encoder so no, I have not. Either way, I wanted to avoid encoders or LVDT's, etc, simply because that type of system is beyond my comfort level. 
I'm building it at my "cabin workshop" so progress will go in spurts. Ill be working on the cams on my next trip.
Change is hard....

Southside

So that's pretty awesome.  Mind explaining what we are looking at in the photos?  Can you keep the explanation in Techno Dinosaur speak?  When "mice" were mentioned above my first thought was "How would rodents help?"  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DMcCoy

Quote from: Southside on September 23, 2021, 10:41:24 PM
So that's pretty awesome.  Mind explaining what we are looking at in the photos?  Can you keep the explanation in Techno Dinosaur speak?  When "mice" were mentioned above my first thought was "How would rodents help?"  :D
Another comment where I was glad my mouth didn't have coffee in it.  :D
I'm so outdated, if I can't see a loose wire and know that isn't why something doesn't work I'm pretty much done.

Crusarius

Rotary encoder is pretty easy. it just counts steps. some have course steps some have fine. once you figure out the length of each step coding is pretty easy. May be worth just playing with one to give you a true digital readout. May have to get creative keeping the area clean though. the only reason I have not attempted something similar is the amount of sawdust and debris that you will have to keep out of it to keep it working right. Since my mill lives outside I didn't think getting into a digital setworks at this time was a good idea. maybe on the next version.

fluidpowerpro

Here is an explanation of what your looking at so far.
On each side you see 2 linear bearings. The cam arrangement will mount to those bearings and whole assy will mount vertically to the side of the mill. The cams will slide up and down on the bearings as the mill head moves. If the head moves up, the cams slide down on the bearings. These will be connected to the mill head by a small cable. 
The micro switches are mounted to a plate that is mounted on 1/2 of a cheap X-Y milling table. This will provide the means to adjust the position of the switches to "zero them". 
The whole works is mounted to a 1/4" thick, 8" x 51.5" aluminum plate. When completed the whole assy will be enclosed in a rectangular box made out of 1/4" aluminum, 52" tall x 8.5" wide x 5" deep.
What you see now is missing 2 micro switches. My electrical circuit requires 2 limit switches for each position ( 11 positions/board thicknesses).

As far as mice go, the only opening to the enclosure will be less than 1/4" dia where the cable goes through, so that should keep them out... :D
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

So is there going to be a plate with a bunch of divots or bumps at various intervals that the micro switches is riding on?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fluidpowerpro

Yes but not one plate. The cams will be 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum square stock. One for each thickness setting. That way if I want to modify one setting, I dont have to remake the whole plate. It will also be easier to machine them because I will just need to machine the divot across the 1/2" face the switch roller rides on.
Change is hard....

Mattjohndeere2

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of a similar thing for the Hudson mill I have, except more of a digital approach. A rack and gear, connected to an encoder, read by an Arduino or similar hobby computer, and a digital display with a keypad for manual entry. It would use some relays to bypass the manual winch switch, and I could just program whatever cut types I'd want (1", 5/4, 1.5", etc...) And let it do the work of operating the winch for each next cut.

I'm excited to see how yours works, really cool!

Magicman

I noticed that you are using an electric winch for head movement but I did not see where you mentioned braking or holding.  A shunt (direct short) across the motor leads when stopped will provide electric braking and should prevent overrun.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fluidpowerpro

The winch I am using has a brake built in and it seems to work good so far. I dont have many hours on it yet....
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on September 26, 2021, 01:07:20 PMYes but not one plate. The cams will be 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum square stock. One for each thickness setting.
OK, now I see it.  You mentioned "cams" and I was thinking more like an engine cam shaft and couldn't figure out how you were going to get different spacing on a round cam and get it to come out even with every size... Doh!  Pretty cool idea/implementation.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: Mattjohndeere2 on September 26, 2021, 02:56:40 PM
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of a similar thing for the Hudson mill I have, except more of a digital approach. A rack and gear, connected to an encoder, read by an Arduino or similar hobby computer, and a digital display with a keypad for manual entry. It would use some relays to bypass the manual winch switch, and I could just program whatever cut types I'd want (1", 5/4, 1.5", etc...) And let it do the work of operating the winch for each next cut.

I'm excited to see how yours works, really cool!
The way you were thinking is not as ancient as my design and probably the smarter way to go. I must admit that most of what I build isnt the latest tech, but it usually works. I say usually because every project is a prototype so there will be tweaks and refinements along the way. 
Change is hard....

D6c

Nice looking project.  Hope to see a video of it in operation.
I considered (briefly) building a setworks for my LT40 using a ball screw and servo motor from a CNC mill but I'd have to do a lot of learning on the control end of things....might have attempted it If I didn't have a 100 other projects I'll never get done.

fluidpowerpro

I worked on the assembly this past week. 
Changes/Progress
1. The zeroing adjustment for the micro switches will need to be out one side of the enclosure so I added a right angle drive to the adjustment rod. The drive is just a low cost unit I got on e-bay. Its meant to be used as a right angle screw driver attachment.
2. After much effort I was just not able to make everything for 11 setpoints work. It was all just too tight and there was not enough room for fine adjustment of the cam positions. There is too much slop, side to side, on the micro switch rollers so unless the cams were perfectly straight, the rollers would come off the cam by the time the cam traveled its full 24" length. Tried putting sheet metal dividers between the cams, but the tolerance stack up on everything was just too much to manage. Decided to scale back and only have 7 setpoints. This allowed me to remove one micro switch between each set giving me 1/4" spacing in between. I will change from 1/2" wide cams to 5/8" wide. This will give me the leeway I need to fine tune the final position of the cams.
3. Added a spring to the zero adjust slide. The spring will pull the slide to one end removing a slight amount of play that was in the slide mechanism.

Here are some more pictures. The pics are with the 1/2" wide cams but those will be changed to 5/8" when I get material.

Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

Why two switches for each setpoint rail?
John Sawicky

fluidpowerpro

I am going to have an indicator light to tell me when the cam is "zeroed". I could have used a single DPDT switch and actually purchased some, but those were much larger and both contacts didnt change state at the same time. One switched earlier than the other based on lever travel. 
In the end decided to use 2 single pole switches. 2 of these ended up being smaller and actually cost a lot less.
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

So when the units moves over the notch and drops in, it stops the motor from running, right?  So you would be using the normally open contact (closed when riding the cam).  So you run power to the common lead and then to a power (solid state) relay for the lift motor from the NO contact.  When it dips into the notch, the motor relay goes "off" stopping the motor.  Couldn't you use the NC contact to power your light (LED)?  If using a mechanical "power" relay, then just some of the other contacts for your LED?  Then you only need one switch per setpoint.
John Sawicky

fluidpowerpro

Yes, I'm using the N/O contact and its held closed by the cam until it falls into the notch. 
I dont have my circuit in front of me, its at my shop, but I recall that unless I had a separate set of contacts for the light, (there is only one "zero" light for all setpoints) that portion of the circuit would make all circuits on the output side of my selector switch common.
Each switch is only active as determined by the selector switch....
In my trade ( hydraulics ) there are always multiple ways to accomplish something. Some better than others, but not all bad. I'm sure electrical circuits are the same. 
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

OK, I just sketched it out for proof of concept.  It actually make for very simple wiring.

Positive to your selector switch (fused).  Selector switch to each micro switch common lead (7 wires now, 11 before).  Join all NC micro switch leads to the indicator light that goes to ground.  Join all NO micro switch leads to motor control (solid state) power relay positive lead, other lead to ground.  Main (fused) power to (solid state) power relay to motor to ground.

Power goes from battery, to selector switch to micro switch.  If riding on cam, motor runs.  Power back feeding along the NO contact buss goes nowhere else as the selector switch stops the flow.  Micro switch rides the cam and drops into slot.  Power now goes to the NC contact, lights the light and back feed on the NC buss is halted like before.

You just need a power reversing switch (DPDT) after the power relay and a on/off switch (on power relay input) to disable the motor when adjusting to "zero" with your crank (leave power on to selector switch so light can light up).  you would need a momentary switch to bypass the micro switch (selector input to NO buss) to start the up/down process.  There would also need to be a halt switch (NC in the power relay input circuit) at each end of your travel.  The bypass switch would allow you to jog back if set up right.

In use, I would expect to see motor switch off and then crank to zero - light comes on.  Make cut and return.  Set direction switch (probably down), set motor switch to "run" or "enable" and press bypass button.  Motor would start up, light would go out.  Continue until notch - motor stops and light lights up.  The light becomes more of an "on target" indicator.

Hmmm, might have to make one of these for my mill!

John Sawicky

fluidpowerpro

As I mentioned before, I dont have my electrical schematic with me, but next time I'm at my shop Ill make sure and bring it home with me so I can share it with you. You can then look it over and if there is a better way, I'm all ears.
Change is hard....

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 02, 2021, 05:50:49 PM
you would need a momentary switch to bypass the micro switch (selector input to NO buss) to start the up/down process.

I plan to use a single shot time delay relay to get around this. It will be set just long enough to allow the micro switch roller to get out of the slot and will automatically reset before the next round of adjustment is needed.
Change is hard....

fluidpowerpro

After much trial and error finally found a cam profile that works. I used a 1/4" ball nosed end mill, .050" deep. 
Also started to add sides and ends.
Change is hard....

Thank You Sponsors!