iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ironwood Burl

Started by doc henderson, October 09, 2021, 10:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

This little nugget was obtained in the SW (Arizona) by my friend and neighbor @Jim Thomas also known as sawdust Jimmy.  He is a turner, and does frames on coasters for friends, and especially former military.  He was a safety engineer in the weapons industry and former Airforce.  We go to breakfast weekly at Skates, and the phrase Moon it, referred to a bacon cheese burger offered about the time of the first moon landing.  

so he brought over the ironwood burl to mill.  He has had it for a year.  It was still heavy, and I had worries it was dry and hard.  

Even Libby is concerned that is may throw sparks and is whining for me to put a new blade on the mill.

it was dry and had a bad smell (urine)  and had a few ants on the side.  did not have the heart to flood it with water, but will add finish down the road, and post the pics.  you can see in person the character, hard to see in the pic.  this was mid branch.  Jimmy had named it Milton, and we will see what he makes from this piece.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

OK so no replies!  so here is a few more pics with the grain sanded and some oil on it.  this was out on a limb and i am curious what you all think was the issue that caused the scar/burl to form.  it tested at over 32% MC.  here are a few shots of sawdust Jimmies shop area also.

stickered stash under his lathe.

the rough sawn burl slice.

his shop

a bowl he is working on with real turquoise epoxied in the bottom

so the limb was 7 inches diam going in and 6 going out.  not sure what the damage was.  there is a cut limb inclusion.  @WDH @YellowHammer hammer @GeneWengert-WoodDoc @customsawyer
i knew we should of thrown water on it! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

Kudos for figuring out how to saw it, the pieces turned out great.  My guess is that since there was a strong smell, it was bacterially infected at some time.  I don't know but for some reason it just reminds me of a piece that was in a fire and scarred up end then kept growing.  Just a guess.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Resonator

QuoteJimmy had named it Milton
A burl he named Milton... :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

customsawyer

One of the hardest decisions to make is how to cut a burl. The special ones don't come around to often so you want to make the best out of them that you can. I've only had the opportunity to cut a handful of them myself, so far. I don't think there is a wrong way to cut them as they all seem to have amazing figure. As to what causes one I personally don't know. My bet is that if someone knew that for sure, they would be out in the woods and having a forest full of burls.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

samandothers

Now that right there will make a purty thingamajig!

booman

Looks just like Post Oak.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

WDH

The wavy bands in the latewood rule out an oak.  But not elm, though  :).

What is the scientific name of this "ironwood"?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

i will ask Jimmy.  he got it from a golf course and may be relying on the giver for the ID.  I thought he told me it was mesquite, but he said no, and it really was not that hard.

doc henderson

from Arizona.  it is odd it was on a branch.  looks like they trimmed a branch off that may have caused injury and or the bacterial infection we could smell.  Jimmy says he will send out "feelers" and check with the folks that knew he was a wood turner and gave it to him.  Thanks Danny.

doc henderson

it is Olneya tesota  or desert ironwood, or palo fierro.  per the golf course superintendent.  

Ironwood Forest

WDH

OK.  I am convinced.  It is in the Fabaceace, the pea family like black locust, honeylocust, and the acacias.  

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ironwood,%20desert.htm
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Doc you should be proud. I'm extremely impressed when anyone can teach Danny about a tree, much less introduce him to a new tree. After reading yours and Danny's link about how hard that wood is, and the fact that you were able to mill it. Tells us that you have your mill dialed in. The fact that they stated that it may not be biodegradable was interesting. They did mention about it being toxic, might make a guy want to bag up the sawdust and dispose of it.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

well thanks, but I got the name from the golf course guy via Jimmy.  so Danny still schooled me, but glad we all got a bit of info.  sounds like it is confined to a small geographical area.  It sawed ok, and I wonder if in this case, the disorganized grain of a burl is less dense than the strait wood.  although the pieces were quite heavy.  I will give Danny the bulk of the credit for sure.  

Roxie

Does anyone else see a bull on its back in the next to last photo?  

You know me, always inquiring about what matters.  

The turquoise in the bowl is stunning!  
Say when

doc henderson

on the bowl,  he showed a pic last night and with finish and after fine sanding, the rocks look like little led light.  on the bull, I may or may not see a bull, and I am no expert on ink blot tests, but you might wnat to talk to someone... :) :) :).  I see it or a sea horse.  Jim and Kathy will be headed back to Arizona in a week to stay untill Christmas.  They took my wife and I out to the country club (Prairie Dunes)  in aticipation of my birthday, and to celebrate a 30 year aniversary for Ron (Kathy's brother) and Sharon.  also a long were another neighbor couple, Dave and Ellie.

doc henderson

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!