iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your All Time Favorite Saw?

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Plus one on the 266xp.  It's one of those saws that just keep going, and is quite capable.  Solid and reliable.

kantuckid

My first non-crappo saw was a smaller Echo, I forget the model. I built my home with it and many cuts made always dependable. Later I traded for a larger Echo and wished I could have gone back. My first chainsaw a hefty McCulloch, was a bastardly machine indeed. It was used and abused by previous owner and would be impossible to start on it's best days. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Gary Davis

I had the opportunity to use the stihl 500I its my new favorite saw Lighter then the ms390 with a lot more power 4.4 hp vs 6.7  

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Kodiakmac on March 13, 2022, 09:36:59 PM
QuoteIt's big brother, the 075, was a nightmare.
Yup on that, Sawguy21.  There was a big Mennonite lad falling (never called it felling) next to us for Ziedler back in the mid 70s when they had their McBride mill running.  He lugged an 075, and man, could he ever put out the timber ... when it was running.   :)
It's said both ways although felling timber is more prominent. However, the person doing it is not called a 'feller' usually, but a faller.

I started out with a 075 in the 70's. I hated that saw. Then the Husky 2100 came along and we were totally simpatico.

Kevin

Kodiakmac

QuoteIt's said both ways although felling timber is more prominent.
In '74, Zeidler (who we were contracting for) made attendance at BC Ministry of Labour safety courses mandatory.  So they sent a young fellow up from the lower mainland to lecture us on safety ... and he decided all us bushers could benefit from a lesson in semantics at the same time.  
We met in the Elks'Club Hall in McBride.  At one point a big Ukranian lad named Lenny with an old country accent started to ask a question, " So are you telling me that if I'm falling a tree ..."
The young fellow cut him off: "Felling" he said.  "It's called felling, not falling."
Lenny started again: "Ya, so you are telling all us fallers to...."
The young lad cut him off again, "Fellers" he said. "You are fellers, not fallers."
At this point Lenny heaved his considerable bulk up off his chair, held his big fist up and quietly  said "If young feller stop me again, ve are going to see young feller fall!"
There was a resounding round of applause and the meeting continued without further corrections. :)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Kodiakmac on March 19, 2022, 09:33:32 AM
QuoteIt's said both ways although felling timber is more prominent.
In '74, Ziedler (who we were contracting for) made attendance at BC Ministry of Labour safety courses mandatory.  So they sent a young fellow up from the lower mainland to lecture us on safety ... and he decided all us bushers could benefit from a lesson in semantics at the same time.  
We met in the Elks'Club Hall in McBride.  At one point a big Ukranian lad named Lenny with an old country accent started to ask a question, " So are you telling me that if I'm falling a tree ..."
The young fellow cut him off: "Felling" he said.  "It's called felling, not falling."
Lenny started again: "Ya, so you are telling all us fallers to...."
The young lad cut him off again, "Fellers" he said. "You are fellers, not fallers."
At this point Lenny heaved his considerable bulk up off his chair, held his big fist up and quietly  said "If young feller stop me again, ve are going to see young feller fall!"
There was a resounding round of applause and the meeting continued without further corrections. :)
Great story! It is semantics. I was just out of college when I started in the woods. It was hard for me to say 'felling' and so to this day I interchange the two ways. Although most people I knew in the woods said 'faller' for the person doing it and 'felling' for the physical act.

Kevin

Patrick NC

My 372xp is my all time favorite,  but the little 550xp mk2 I bought last year is gaining ground fast! That little bugger with a 16" bar and sharp chain will sure make you grin.  😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!