iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 462 Arctic

Started by ehp, September 27, 2022, 06:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

they are starting to show up again on the shelves up here , I pick up another arctic tomorrow from my 1 dealer . There has not been many around for the last couple years 

ehp

Picked it up today and at a good price I feel 

Woodfarmer

Would you choose the 462 over the 500i if they were both non-Arctic?

ehp

they are making the 500i in arctic but we cannot get it yet here in Canada but as soon as they get here I will buy a couple , I use the 500i  on the landing mainly and have been cutting mainly with the 462's 

ehp

I put a bark box on the 462 arctic I have been cutting with just to see . It makes more noise that is forsure . Maybe a touch more torque over stock but no noticeable gains 
 It turns the same rpms in the wood but that is caused by the port numbers . Ported 462 turn a fair bit more rpms in the wood

Woodfarmer

I put an Exile cover on my 500, made right here in Canada, the guys in Mississauga 

rooster 58

Ehp,
        Did you give up on the 400's? I'm looking for a new saw, mostly just for bucking logs at my sawmill. The largest saw I have now is a 362. So I'm looking at the 400, 462, 500i, or maybe even  the 661

ehp

No, the 400 is a great saw but I'm cutting fairly big timber right now , nothing under 22 inch DBH in most cases so I like the bit more power . I cut all summer with the 400 as it was mostly bigger softwood . I'm not a 661 fan , never was one as for me just to heavy for what I see in power . 500 work very good and have a stronger mount system compared to the 462 but no arctic 500 here in canada that I know of so I got another 462 arctic for the winter time

rooster 58

Thanks Ehp. I was at the stihl shop today. They have one 500i in stocks that I think I'm going to roll with. Only problem is that I'd like to have the 25" lite bar. And they only have the 20 and 28" lite bars. The 25" bar is the standard bar

ehp

25 inch and 28 I ch you can find here . 20 in h in the light is hard to find here

Thank You Sponsors!