The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Help with a stihl 088 hard starting (jerks out of the hand!)  (Read 23515 times)

Offline Guydreads

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Help with a stihl 088 hard starting (jerks out of the hand!)
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
So, drop starting. This has been faught over by many people. My method: Decomp first. Choke. Chain brake. Grab the "left hand" handle with your right hand, starter with your left. Don't mess with the throttle. Find the compression stroke when about to pull. When you hit compression, give er a yank, it'll pull. If you need a video, I could probably manage uploading to to my YT channel ;) In fact, on my J'red 2071 Turbo I don't use the decomp generally.

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »
Being left handed that is how I drop started at the start of my career. Until I noticed a hole in my jeans that had not been there five minutes before. Keys or a lump of change saved my leg, nobody had chain brakes in those days. I was working in the shop so no chaps either. I  NEVER did that again!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »
On that 044 it would not be unusual if after a period of idleness for it not to start .Most times the carb needs rebuilt .Some think they can just "clean " them out but that seldom gets it done .Rebuild kits are inexpensive and a rebuild is simple to do .

Offline Guydreads

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
I'm glad you're ok! We'd hate to not have the experience of @sawguy21 during rebuilds of chainsaws and knowledge in general!

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
I have a 394 and the only way to start it is drop start it . those big saws need to spin . I kind of sneak up on it . Kind of like kick starting a Harley .You want to keep the shop door closed those big saws will sneak out and cut wood on their own .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
Some of those large displacement says are similar to a kick start Harley. Ignition off full choke ,roll over twice ,half choke ignition hot .pull .
However like all women are sisters they are not identical twins .Two examples both 99 cc saws .Husqvarna 2100 S ,one choke ,no more else it will flood ,large bore Tillotson model HS carb .Partner p-100 super ,choke twice set the throttle lock, pull .Unlike the larger displacement saws like a Stihl 084-088 these saws have no decomp valves  so you don't want to be tugging on them any longer than it takes .You really don't want to drop start them either .They are not little bitty trim the apple tree in the back yard twice a year saws .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 01:40:35 PM »
I've tried to hash this out before....you never used the 2100 in a pro environment....just as a collector's saw. You can't make absolute statements about one 2100 you bought from the PNW. It's a very easy saw to start if it's in top form. Three pulls max...usually on the second pull with full choke, it will spit and if you're fast enough, you can push the choke in and it will continue to run. If not, push the choke in and pull again.

I had at least a dozen of these saws professionally and they all started the same. Are they hard to pull because of no decomp(?)...no one I know complained at the time. They don't typically have a lot of compression....somewhere around 150-165psi on a working saw. If you always had decomp saws, yes, they will seem hard to pull.

Now, some of the big Jonsereds if not 'pre-pulled' run over 200psi and will hurt your fingers good if no decomp.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 03:05:58 PM »
Well Mr Sheperd since you noted that unless you call selling firewood as being professional I've never used any saw except from a collectors perspective .Which is not saying I don't know how to use them .

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 04:10:20 PM »
When starting big saws especially with long bars drop starting is the only way to go. You could say itís safer and easier on your back I donít want to pickup a long bar anymore then I have such as on the ground starting.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
Well Mr Sheperd since you noted that unless you call selling firewood as being professional I've never used any saw except from a collectors perspective .Which is not saying I don't know how to use them .
Well Mr.Smith, not saying you don't know how to use a chainsaw. What I am saying is you never used the 2100 in a pro setting of 8hs/day, month after month until the saw is worn out and you have to buy another.

You have repeated things about the 2100 on the strength of a seldom used 2100 you bought from my neck of the woods. And every time you make absolute statements about 2100's in general, I'm going to respond with real pro working knowledge of this particular model.

So it's your choice as always, to say what you want about 2100's, just like it's my choice to de-mystify what you say.

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 06:07:30 PM »
When starting big saws especially with long bars drop starting is the only way to go. You could say it’s safer and easier on your back I don’t want to pickup a long bar anymore then I have such as on the ground starting.
Seems like in the mornings, probably because my back was fresh and I just put oil & gas in the big saws...I started on the ground. The rest of the day I would drop start them;usually with the tip on a log for balance and then immediately moving the tip off right when firing up.

Sometimes if the log height was just right, I might rest the saw body on a log and pull. You naturally find ways to start heavy saws with long bars that are easiest on your back. Some is trial & error, other is watching people in your youth that know such things.

Kevin  

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 08:00:27 AM »
You are 100 percent correct .I've never ran a chainsaw so long or so hard I've worn one out .As it turns out they usually are worn out when I get them .
I'm the guy who rebuilds them, gives them a new lease on life  .When I get through with them they run as good or better than when they were factory fresh . That's not boasting just a plain statement of fact . :)
Now all that said with no intent of malice or hard feelings restoration of anything is not for everybody .Many have no interest  in it and not all are capable of doing it .That puts me in most likely of all chainsaw owners in a very small club or fraternity of less than 5 percent of all owners in the entire world .
My little club is getting older and if somebody doesn't step up to the plate this stuff may fade away in the setting sun, gone like the passenger pigeon .

Offline Raj

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »
I've found for a cold start on my 088s, I'll flip the lever to on, depress decomp, then quickly pull cord till resistance, return the starter cord, quickly give a solid pull. I do this several times. Then flip lever to choke and start per normal. If I don't do this, there is a good chance the cord will rip out of my hand and the handle will hit my other hand on the saw.  I run 40:1 oil.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
This thread started some time ago .Since it's been going on I restored a pair of Partner p-100's .They were total rebuilds .These are high compression powerful saws .
The first start up on the first one done it tried to rip my hand off .I stopped ,went into my garage and found a Stihl 046 rescue saw D-handle for that arm ripper .That took the bite out of the bark .I've got those D-handles on several saws .Relatively inexpensive solution from your friendly neighborhood Stihl dealer .  

Offline booman

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2021, 09:13:58 PM »
When I got my Stihl MS880 it would rip out of my hand and leave me hurting for a few days.   I finally bought a D handle, made a short loop on it to loop over the original pull handle and then pull with both hands with my foot in the trigger handle with the brake on.   Helped a lot.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl 390 hard starting?

Started by logman81 on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 07:27:35 AM
by logman81
xx
Stihl 034 AV...Hard starting

Started by lobsta1 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 07:46:53 PM
by dancan
xx
Hard starting Stihl 044

Started by lineguy82 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2014, 08:41:31 PM
by HolmenTree
xx
Stihl 290 Farm Boss - hard starting when out of gas. Any similar problems?

Started by gus1957 on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 04:21:35 PM
by gus1957