iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A troll visits the U.P. (finds snow donuts)

Started by Sparty, February 25, 2010, 06:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparty

We visited the U.P. (my wife is from Munising) and had one of the best times we've ever had up there despite only having one full day.  Started the morning by watching the sled dog races finish the Midnight Run, an overnight 8 or 9 hour race.  A 14 year old girl won the race.

I think a coyote joined the race:

Next was a 2 mile x country trip through the hills overlooking lake superior 

After lunch I hiked down next to my in-laws house to a gully with a small waterfall

This is the hill you have to climb in 3' of snow to get down there

I read about these once and thought I would never see one, but at the bottom of the gulley were about a dozen snow donuts

We completed the day with a 5 mile x-country trip around some lakes followed by a family dinner.  Then the trolls had to go back below the bridge the next morning.

Shotgun

Hey Sparty,

Glad to see that you made it to the sled dog races.  I followed the race on the Internet. I spent a lot of years in da UP.  Your pictures are great. One thing, though, don't be calling your wife a "troll" now.  Once a Yooper, always a Yooper. Well, maybe the fact that you took her back to SE Michigan could make her a "yooper" though.   ;D

I called the dog sled webmaster and offered some constructive (I hope) comments.  It's a great site, but they seem to have forgotten that non-dog sled/non-local participants could be reading it too. They seemed to take my comments in good spirits. They're good folks UP der.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Wish I had a couple of those dogs this winter. It wouldn't have been too cold on'm either and not deep snow. :D But their little red boots would come in handy on the crusty snow.

That coyote is well behaved. :D

Looks like great fun up there, over there. Isn't NB further north? Maybe not. Last night they said some point in Minn was furthest north in the lower 48, and Maine goes further north than NB. So who knows. :D Still, we have a lot less snow than you folks. But, what's winter without snow? A big cheat. :D

Happy sledding and skiing. Looks like a nice part of the planet in those hardwoods :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Shotgun on February 25, 2010, 06:56:20 PM

I called the dog sled webmaster and offered some constructive (I hope) comments.  It's a great site, but they seem to have forgotten that non-dog sled/non-local participants could be reading it too. They seemed to take my comments in good spirits. They're good folks UP der.

Norm

Hey, mines got no dogs either, just man foot power and gravity. :D

Just in case you missed out. ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41243.0.html

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Shoulda spend some more time UP here and headed west  ;D, thats where all the real fun stuff is. haha Looks like a good time for sure.

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 25, 2010, 06:58:41 PM
Wish I had a couple of those dogs this winter. It wouldn't have been too cold on'm either and not deep snow. :D But their little red boots would come in handy on the crusty snow.

I don't think those little red boots would fit ya, handy or not in the crusty snow...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Sparty

We may be heading up to the keweenaw this summer.  Its a little sketchy getting up there in the winter...you may get snowed in and have a real nasty drive home.  Now that we have some yoopers listening....I've been wondering what the origins of the classic yooper phrase "holy whaa" is. I crack up every time my father-in-law says it.

chevytaHOE5674

If you end up in the Keweenaw send me a message. Maybe we could meet up for a beverage or something if I'm in town.

Not sure of the origins of Holy whaa is but I say it all the time.  :D

Shotgun

Sparty,

Here's definition for ya.  It's as good as any.   ;D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=holy%20wah
A regional phrase known in Northern Michigan, used to express excitement, surprise, awe, and more. Much like the use of "dude", "Holy Wah" can express many different things, depending upon context and tone of voice.
"Holy Wah! I haven't seen you in forever." "Holy wah, I can't believe you ate 6 pasties!"

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!