iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally up and running

Started by scottmtfarm, March 04, 2013, 09:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmtfarm

I have finally got my M14 Belsaw up and running nicely.  It is on a steel frame and set on concrete footings.  I am running a 46" insert tooth saw.  I have not had it hammered since I have had it but it runs good around 540 rpm.  I was told by previous owner it was hammered for that speed.  After I got the lead set it saws true lumber.  I still have quite a bit to learn about sawing though.  I have been running the mill with a John Deere model B.  It is not overpowered at all but it does ok sawing pine that is not too large.  It is not the smoothest power I have ever seen either but it is nice to see an old tractor working again.  I have a old Blackhawk tractor with a 50hp perkins diesel that I plan on using with it soon.  I have also run the mill with my 263 MF and it is plenty of power in most things and enough to saw 20" white oak logs ok.  The sawdust drag in this setup is #30 ag chain from some sort of old elevator run by 1/2 hp electric motor.
My next step is to get enough lumber cut for a shed over it.  I have quite a bit of experience offbearing at a mill (JA Vance with egder run with 471 GM) and have sawed some with a LT40 Woodmizer.  This is my first time sawing on a circle mill.  I really enjoy it and love to see old equipment working again for a useful purpose.  I have a found a wealth of knowlege here on this forum and would like to thank everyone for that.
I would appreciate any tips, trick or other advise you have to offer.  I will be glad to try to answer any questions as well. There are a few pictures in my album.  Still trying to figure out the picture thing.

Happycamper

Scott,
  Hope you don't mind my putting your photos in. Nice to see the mill and especially the restored "B" working.
                                 Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

beenthere

Those cowboy boots must fill up with sawdust pretty fast.  ;D

Posting pics once they are in your gallery is pretty straight forward. Click below the message window (to the left of the "Post" and "Preview" buttons) and it will take you to an option for "My Gallery". Click on your pic and SCROLL down below that pic to see the choices for adding them to your post.
Then click on the "Preview" button to check that you have done what you want to do. After it is correct, then click on "Post"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Now that's a picture and a sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

No doubt a beautiful day,  I like the height of the mill as well, looks like a perfect working height.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scottmtfarm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcfd3HCgHTw

here is a link to a video of the JD B running the sawmill cutting dead pine.

Magicman

That was interesting, but you are gonna get sawdust in them boots......but you know that already.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scottmtfarm

That is my father with the boots.  He has wore them as long as I can remember (running chainsaw too) and I have never heard him complain.  I guess he has tough feet.lol

Magicman

Yup, tough is as tough does,  ;D  but I hated to see the video end.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Nice video!

I like the idea of the guard/shield to prevent people from getting in near the blade!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!