iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

job tips

Started by br389, September 02, 2013, 05:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br389

I live in cny and I would really like to start doing some contracted logging jobs or maybe even some state jobs and I was just curious to what type of paper work I would need or the best way to go about this..... thanks

HiTech

I have been trying for 6 years to get a lot to cut from the state. Good luck there. The lots are either bigger than I can handle or too small. have a couple pens ready also as they want you to sign your life away before you can cut on state land. Also you have to go to school to learn how to cut a tree down. They seem to cater to the guys that can cut vast amounts of wood in short time frames.

beenthere

HiTech
What is the attraction to get a lot to cut from the state?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mark K

Better than half of the wood I cut is state wood. I mainly do contract for a big local mill. Cutting on the state you have to be Trained Logger Certified,  have workmens comp, liability and disability insurance. Cutting state wood is like cutting the cream of the crop. You have to follow alot of state guidelines for rutting, saftey procedures, etc.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

HiTech

Quote from: beenthere on September 02, 2013, 06:16:01 PM
HiTech
What is the attraction to get a lot to cut from the state?

Well, 6 years ago I needed wood to cut. Thought I could get a state chunk. They used to have small firewood lots. I guess what used to be and what is today are very different animals. Firewood is what I am after, any decent logs is a plus. With the many of cords of wood I see blown over or broke off on the state land I thought I could clean it up...make nice firewood. So much for thinking.

HiTech

Quote from: Mark K on September 02, 2013, 06:46:19 PM
Better than half of the wood I cut is state wood. I mainly do contract for a big local mill. Cutting on the state you have to be Trained Logger Certified,  have workmens comp, liability and disability insurance. Cutting state wood is like cutting the cream of the crop. You have to follow alot of state guidelines for rutting, saftey procedures, etc.
I have to agree with cream of the crop. In  some places more so than others. I can really see where forest management is paying off for the state. In some areas the woods are just magnificent. 

Thank You Sponsors!