iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting shiplap on a mill

Started by woodweasel, April 17, 2014, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Gonna be putting a office/mancave/playroom in my metal building. i wanna
cut some shiplap on my mill. I seen this on the site before using wedges.Searched the archives, but for the life of me cant find the specific
post. Anybody help a ole man out here :-[ :-[  Woodweasel

redbeard

Ship lap is a rabbit or dado cut on the long edges of boards you would need to do that part on a table saw. Sounds like you may be thinking of beveled siding lots of tricks to achieve this from cants if you search that you will find a lot of ideas.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

Member Arkansawyer had discussion and pics of a bevel siding jig, I believe. Might be what you have in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

IMO it is impossible to cut shiplap on the mill.
I have done quite a bit of shiplap after sawing on my power feed shaper.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

Woodweasel, beveled lap siding is what you are after. Do a search for "Arkansawyer siding jig" I made one and it worked slick. Saw your boards at 1" and then resaw them on the jig.
Too many irons in the fire

woodweasel

yea.bevel lap is what im after, thats still not the post i'm after though ??? ???

backwoods sawyer

I simple way is to use wedges to cut the first piece from the cant and alternate by placing it under the cant for every other cut. :P
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Member Planman1954  also posted a simple way to do it. 

"Just thought I'd add my simplistic way of making 8" beveled siding. My friend has a lumbermate 2000, and I'm fairly competent at using the thing (I've probably sawn 10 logs solo.) Anyway, we first saw an 8" wide x 12" high (or higher) piece of SYP. We tilt the beam up just enough to wedge a couple of 3/8" spacers under the beam's bottom right side on the sawmill base supports, placing the beam on a slight angle. The left side rests on the support beams, thus creating the correct angle for a bevel.  The spacers are probably 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/8" think set under the beam on the right side (the same side that we walk along as we push the saw through the beam.) The first cut is made resulting in a 5/8" down to 1/8" x 8" wide piece of siding. Before making the next cut, simply remove the spacers, and voila! The next piece is at the same angle. Then repeat putting the spacers under the same side and repeat the process. I'm currently building a barn using this stuff inside and out! Good luck. It's actually a fairly quick way of making siding."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Planman's method is a good one too. I went with the Arky version so I could saw the 1" boards, sticker and dry them, and then resaw them. 
Too many irons in the fire

Jim_Rogers

I was looking through my gallery of pictures for something else and found this one:

I used a similar wedge but not as steep to cut bevel siding. and dropping 5/8" each cut to make 1/2" butts. If you plan it out right you end up with a flat 1" board on the bottom.

I have these two wedges I used some place here at the shop. And/or in my tool box that I carry to the mill. I have used them many times to shim something to get the right bevel cut.

You can do it if you draw the angle you want on the end of the cant, roll it up till it is parallel to the saw blade and measure the gap to get the dimension so you can create the wedge.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Planman1954

Here's the link:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58534.msg851690.html#msg851690

I'm currently helping my nephew cut a ton of this stuff from SYP. I'm making 3/8" and 5/8" drops on the scale, which seems to give me a good angle cut using the 3/8" sticks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

woodweasel

Thanks Fellows,
     GREAT INFORMATION 8) 8) I like the ideal of cutting the first piece the
bevel I want, then using it as a pattern.Sounds like that would be quicker
than using wedges.I could leave the ( pattern) on my mill,then lean over & put under the cant, if the cant is of manageable size 8) 8)Love this forum!
                                Woodweasel ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

petefrom bearswamp

I dont pay attention a lot to what goes on but what ever became of ARKY?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 18, 2014, 06:45:29 PM
I dont pay attention a lot to what goes on but what ever became of ARKY?

He lost his mill/business to a financial institution. Moved out to (Oklahoma???) to get work.

Herb

wovennut

There's two video's on you tube of someone that made a siding
jig for a bandsaw mill. With his jig you don't need to re-clamp
the cant on every pass. Planning on making one soon.
you tube search     
siding2.wmv
siding.wmv

Ohio_Bill

Here is another option , just flat sawed.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thecfarm

Thomas Bandsaw has a real nice set up. I saw it last year at the Bangor show. Did not see it working though. They run 2 chains on each side of the head with a hand crank to raise the head. To saw clap boards there is a lever on one side you just flip back and forth. No need to saw a cant then take it off and put back on and play with a jig. Mighty handy to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

36 coupe

I have an early version of the Thomas clapboard attachment on my 6013.I saw 6x6 cants.Shiplap is run on my Belsaw planer.I have sawed cedar and poplar to make clapboards.The finish is rough but works well with stain.My uncle said that smooth clap boards didnt hold paint very well.There are knives that can be used to make novelty siding.Shiplap is run with 3 small knives run in the planer head.

Thank You Sponsors!