iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 261 Performance Tuning Kit.

Started by HolmenTree, October 02, 2015, 02:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

aSmith, welcome to FF, I believe these kits are no longer available on that special price (been a few years ago) but the Logosol 16" bar is still in inventory.

I ran the 16" Logosol Stihl sells plus a 7 TPicco spur sprocket drum Stihl also sells for the 066/660.
I was milling cants with to my 090 on a 36" Alaskan.
Then when it was time to mill lumber off the cants I mounted the 066 with 16" Picco bar/chain in the Alaskan mill.
When I had a hired man he would run the 066/16" on a homemade mill set at 1 1/2" while I kept milling cants with the 090. We cut over a thousand bf one day milling 2"×6"×16' spruce.

I tried the Picco chain on the 36" 090 mill but in time the chain kinked up too bad with all the chain stretching.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ButchC

The 63PS is indeed great chain however has been NLA at Stihl for at least a couple years. The green tag version is much slower in my experience about on par with N1C Carton and 91 Oregon. Luckily  I have a lifetime supply  of 63PS since I dont use that much of it :)  Baileys does  list it on the web site in both loops and reels.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

HolmenTree

Stihl 63PS chisel is still available from dealers here in Canada last time I looked.

snonut12

Been considering to switch over to 3/8 low profile (3/8 picco) on my 261C-M to pair up with my 241C-M which is a fantastic limbing saw. I see this tuning kit (as mentioned by the OP) is for 16" bar and chain. I already am running 16" on my 241 for better reach when limbing. I currently am running 18" .325 on my 261 and would like to keep the length the same. Looking though the bar and chain catalog I found 3/8 picco 18" bar under the model 250, part number 3005 000 4817 

Anyway, can I run this 18" picco bar on my 261 and if so, what is the sprocket part number? And how many links 3/8 picco chains would it need for a proper fit? The catalog says the 16" bar on 261 requires 60 links. 

Tacotodd

It's not going to fit. That saw takes a 3003 mount. Keep on going. If you wanted Oregon part numbers I could help, but Stihl is more proprietary than I can look up.
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

Not apples-apples, but I had interest in converting my 026 to using picco chain; ideally with a 20" bar. It looked like it was gonna be more trouble than it was worth to me, using aftermarket parts, and requiring modification.

SkeeterKev

You should be able to use the newer Stihl 23RSPro chain on your 261 (you need a 0.050 / 325 bar).  I have been using it over a year now on a Husky 346 and it has never run better.  I also use a Stihl 241 that runs 63PS with a 7 tooth rim sprocket.  You could fit your 261 up to run 63PS but I think 23RSPro is a better option.  You can run 7 or 8 tooth rims depending on what you are cutting.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SkeeterKev on October 15, 2021, 09:03:39 PM
You should be able to use the newer Stihl 23RSPro chain on your 261 (you need a 0.050 / 325 bar).  I have been using it over a year now on a Husky 346 and it has never run better.  I also use a Stihl 241 that runs 63PS with a 7 tooth rim sprocket.  You could fit your 261 up to run 63PS but I think 23RSPro is a better option.  You can run 7 or 8 tooth rims depending on what you are cutting.
Yes today in 2021 the 23RS Pro chisel chain is the answer for short bar  50cc saws.
I remember years ago I ran the narrow kerf Oregon 95 .325semi chisel on my 346XP with 16" bar, it was a light sabre.
Unfortunately right up to my recent retirement I haven't found any available 23RS Pro chain

Thank You Sponsors!