The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 372XP X-Torq Modding  (Read 64077 times)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
Re: 372XP X-Torq Modding
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
And I don't think I can part with my XPW to trade in on an XT.

Lordy no, don't do that! The XPW is still the better saw.

But count me in for the GTG; sounds like fun. But we aren't going to borrow the "build off" term from those other guys. Those things are wrought with a lot of chest beating and arguing. We're going to call this a "tech seminar" GTG. Focus for this one being the XT saws. This what Walter and I do when we get together. Share and compare; put our heads together and build some saws. Be great to have some new minds adding to the conversation. We could focus on other chassis in the future.

That cylinder skirt on the XT jug cannot be removed like we do on the originals to open up the access to the transfers. It will expose the clean air channel cut in the piston. I of course learned that by ruining a cylinder.  :)  No biggie, cause it was a used one. And that's why Walt and I like used and aftermarket stuff for this learning process!

I have a 2166 that has been my test mule for this series. May have the raw materials for an orange version as well.

Be glad to have some of you guys join us and put some energy into these XT's. The originals get all the attention, and in a year or so all of the attention will be on the 572's. But the XT's are still selling in large numbers and will continue to be popular for a long time.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline 49er

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »
I never been to New York. It would be a fun trip. :)
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
Especially with that machine in your avatar!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
the XT design is pretty simple to figure out , well seems pretty easy to me . Yes you grind the bottom of the cylinder to remove restriction for the transfers ,but watch you donot grind to much towards the doors on the cylinder or you will have a big air leak , next end up at around 180 psi of compression, any more than that your not helping the saw , your hurting it . open up the strato in the intake so it gets fuel/air as well not just air , its not hard, you need to grind the plastic part that bolts to the carb that holds the air filter , take that bridge out so its like the older 372 style, next grind the rubber boot that goes between the cylinder and carb so its also just like the older 372 style . Yes you need to raised both the transfer and ext port and these engines are not to fussy , if you get a touch to high on your porting they still will pull good . you can widen the ext port lots . You can increase the flywheel timing lots as well . Will these beat the older 372/375 in 8 by 8 cookie cutting , most times no but there still strong , will they out cut the 372/375 in big hardwood , without a question , the XT's have a lot of torque and can handle cut after cut after cut . I use XT's everyday and cut good size big hardwood . I got a 390 and it only sees the landing some days , just way to heavier and not as nice to run in my books . Problem I see with some guys is they donot take a engine a part and figure it out , every design needs different mods and porting numbers , what works in a older 372 will not work on a XT just like what works on a 7900 will not work on a 372

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 07:05:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ed. You're one of the few guys who have figured out the XT's. I agree that each saw needs it's own recipe. Do you also get rid of the divider in the carb along with the intake boot and filter holder? I'm going to try some of your ideas.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
And I don't think I can part with my XPW to trade in on an XT.

Lordy no, don't do that! The XPW is still the better saw.

But count me in for the GTG; sounds like fun. But we aren't going to borrow the "build off" term from those other guys. Those things are wrought with a lot of chest beating and arguing. We're going to call this a "tech seminar" GTG. Focus for this one being the XT saws. This what Walter and I do when we get together. Share and compare; put our heads together and build some saws. Be great to have some new minds adding to the conversation. We could focus on other chassis in the future.

That cylinder skirt on the XT jug cannot be removed like we do on the originals to open up the access to the transfers. It will expose the clean air channel cut in the piston. I of course learned that by ruining a cylinder.  :)  No biggie, cause it was a used one. And that's why Walt and I like used and aftermarket stuff for this learning process!

I have a 2166 that has been my test mule for this series. May have the raw materials for an orange version as well.

Be glad to have some of you guys join us and put some energy into these XT's. The originals get all the attention, and in a year or so all of the attention will be on the 572's. But the XT's are still selling in large numbers and will continue to be popular for a long time.

A tech seminar is exactly what I would enjoy.  Good people, good food, cold drinks and chainsaws.  Does it get any better? 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Offline RIDE-RED 350r

• No wing, no prayer
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »
I would love to get together for a tech seminar!

Maybe instead of having to source a whole other 372xt saw, those of us who are planning to get together could each get an aftermarket XT cylinder to bring with us??

I remember you showing in one of your vids Spike that the XT cylinder does not seat onto the traditional XP/XWP case without some modification due to there being more cylinder protrusion into the case... Having said that, I would be willing to bring my XPW to use as an experimental bottom end for the XT cylinder. Unless of course using the XT cylinder on my XPW bottom end would render the testing less than accurate due to the fact my XPW uses a traditional carb and intake??? Obviously in my case I would have to get the std size 372 piston as my XPW has a slightly larger bore...

BTW, I did some work on my XPW cylinder the other day while XP_Slinger was doing his XT...

I matched the transfers to the base gasket, opened up the lower transfers (wow that exhaust side had alot of material with that hump!), beveled and blended the transfer partitions, cut the cylinder skirts down to 2.500" as measured from the squish band on both sides, deleted the base gasket, and modded the muffler. I was very pleased with the end results.  ;D

Having some trouble figuring out how to post pics... otherwise I would show you what I did..
Swedish, you know, like the chef.

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
No need to tear into your XPW for a testing bottom end, since I have an X-torq we could use mine.  Can't wait for this gathering to happen.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 07:34:24 PM »
the XT design is pretty simple to figure out , well seems pretty easy to me . Yes you grind the bottom of the cylinder to remove restriction for the transfers ,but watch you donot grind to much towards the doors on the cylinder or you will have a big air leak , next end up at around 180 psi of compression, any more than that your not helping the saw , your hurting it . open up the strato in the intake so it gets fuel/air as well not just air , its not hard, you need to grind the plastic part that bolts to the carb that holds the air filter , take that bridge out so its like the older 372 style, next grind the rubber boot that goes between the cylinder and carb so its also just like the older 372 style . Yes you need to raised both the transfer and ext port and these engines are not to fussy , if you get a touch to high on your porting they still will pull good . you can widen the ext port lots . You can increase the flywheel timing lots as well . Will these beat the older 372/375 in 8 by 8 cookie cutting , most times no but there still strong , will they out cut the 372/375 in big hardwood , without a question , the XT's have a lot of torque and can handle cut after cut after cut . I use XT's everyday and cut good size big hardwood . I got a 390 and it only sees the landing some days , just way to heavier and not as nice to run in my books . Problem I see with some guys is they donot take a engine a part and figure it out , every design needs different mods and porting numbers , what works in a older 372 will not work on a XT just like what works on a 7900 will not work on a 372

Excellent info, thanks for sharing.  I've been admiring your work on youtube...impressive.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Offline CR888

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
I am yet to read a post from spike60 that has not been positive and insightful. Always good when he joins the party. Few guys have the knack to communicate and come off well in what they post whether they agree or disagree with what someone has said, he is definitely one of those guys. You gotta sell yourself before you can sell a product/service well, he has certainly mastered this process.

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I'll second that.  I haven't been a participating member on this forum for very long but it's easy to see that Spike60 is one of the guys that is eager to share his knowledge in a productive manner.  That goes for weimedog also.  I've learned a lot over these couple days. Thanks fellas
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
Spike, gut everything , first thing you will notice is the saw will run a lot better and be far better to adjust on the carb compared to stock , the idle is far better than stock , You should blend the 2 intake air ports so no major restriction for the air/fuel mixture to get into the cylinder . Every XT that I have built is still running strong and I have only built these saws for guys that cut timber so most have a lot of hours on them , Most guys ran 385/390's and parked them . I never sent a XT to the USA only in Ontario . I have heard lots about the bore lining coming off after porting and stories like that but in most cases that's not the cylinders fault , that's the guy running the porting tools fault , Using way to coarse of a porting burr does that, the 7900 will do the same . I have seen pictures but never had a cylinder lining lift on me 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »
Now I have heard some of the XT's come with a different carb , I have never seen that here , all came with same carb so far

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »
Home from work .. wow! A lot has gone on! Pretty much any Sunday the farm road isn't snowed in works. I have a set of J-red 2166 cases that need a purpose, maybe that will be a test bed for XT top ends with EHP inspired mods. I see the suggestion on gutting all plastic dividers from air filter to cylinder AND raising transfers & exhaust. Any idea on the ending blow down & exhaust opening? Any surgery to the intake port/casting on the cylinder? Looks like there is a fair amount of "meat" around that intake should working those make sense. Thanks for both the research and defining a direction to forge ahead with on these.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline 49er

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »
I kinda like the fuel mileage of my XT, well really not having to go to my gas can as often.Cost of the fuel is not important.
A rubber intake manifold and plastic intake is all that would be needed to go back to strato. But the saw may not like it what with the changes in port timing.
Running the saw each way would be an interesting experiment.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Offline 49er

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
   I removed the black coil and reinstalled the original blue coil. I think it runs better with the retarded ignition at idle and a good advance at high rpm.
   I have heard the compression release is too great on this saw. I believe it is because on restarts while using the "CR" it does not like to start unless ya give it a good windup. So I am thinking of trying a "CR" from another saw like my 2253.
   Has anyone else tried this? 
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
Just put a "plug" in it. Solves the issue. :)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
Spike, gut everything , first thing you will notice is the saw will run a lot better and be far better to adjust on the carb compared to stock , the idle is far better than stock , You should blend the 2 intake air ports so no major restriction for the air/fuel mixture to get into the cylinder.

Thanks for the advice Ed! Did just what you said, and the saw really runs nice. Doesn't mind being leaned on. You're right on the idle settling down too. Carb needed a fair amount of adjustment from where it was to adapt to the changes.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »
Spike not a problem , the xt motor is a very good design just needs a hack to make it run abit better  ;D. I'm to the point I donot like running a stock xt just because of how they idle and throttle response compared to modded

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
play with the flywheel to Spike, advance the flywheel timing say even 1/4 width of the key way helps as well , makes them come alive when you nail the gas  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
372xp modding

Started by GSchieven on Chainsaws

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2020, 06:09:20 PM
by GSchieven
xx
Husqvarna 372xp Original Edition vs. 372xp Current Edition "X-Torq" Saws.

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 11, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
by weimedog
xx
2018 Husqvarna 372xp (Non X-Torq)

Started by Koot Kraftsman on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2021, 11:38:11 PM
by Koot Kraftsman
xx
Husqvarna 372xp x torq problem