The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: What was your favorite chainsaw of all time and why  (Read 14043 times)

Offline Timbercruiser

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: What was your favorite chainsaw of all time and why
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
Yep those were great saws . New ones are not as good. 262 had great anti vibe system too

Offline Glenn

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
I like my p52 that i bought nos !  I like it cuz it is simple and old school.  Easy to fix and a very distinct sound !  Next would be a toss up between the 266 and jonsered 630, both great saws.  Then my tiny husky 141 just because its tiny and never lets me down - its a very underrated saw !

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
Stihl MS 362; because it was a "quantum leap" from all my previous saws I had that were designed for occasional use. It's my daily saw; only a gummed-up spark arrestor and a warranty-replaced control module in 3 years of work.

All it asks of me is that I buy clear (non ethanol) fuel; no sweat, a burger joint (Burgerville) is right across the street from the gas station where I buy the fuel.... ;D

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline motohed

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »
Man , if we could buy no ethanol fuel in RI , Thast why I run aviation fuel in all my saws . It's a hundred octane and remains so at 12,000 ft . LOL ! Yes I have paid as much as 5.50 a gallon , but what is your saw worth to make money . You can leave one set for over a year and it will Start as good as the day you stopped using it , I know , I had back surgury just over a year ago and did'nt get the go ahead from the Dr for 15 monthes . Now they are talking 15% ethanol in the US . No saw will run for long on that . I know there are states that have no ethanol fuel , but not RI .

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »
1 Homlite XL 12. My Brothers saw that I got to run. 2 Johnsred 70E. First new saw I could afford. 3 Stilh 044 second new saw I bought.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 10:25:09 PM »
Man , if we could buy no ethanol fuel in RI , Thast why I run aviation fuel in all my saws . It's a hundred octane and remains so at 12,000 ft . LOL ! Yes I have paid as much as 5.50 a gallon , but what is your saw worth to make money . You can leave one set for over a year and it will Start as good as the day you stopped using it , I know , I had back surgury just over a year ago and did'nt get the go ahead from the Dr for 15 monthes . Now they are talking 15% ethanol in the US . No saw will run for long on that . I know there are states that have no ethanol fuel , but not RI .

Have you tried marinas in your area? They often have non-ethanol gas. You can also try pure-gas.org, though they don't show many options for non-ethanol gas in RI right now.

I'm a pilot, and have easy access to AvGas, but I won't burn it in my saws. It's a leaded gas, and the exhaust on a chainsaw is just a bit too close to where I'm breathing for me to feel comfortable using it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
  Back in the 80s-90s my wife's relatives were local Stihl dealers, and they recommended and gave me a good deal on my 044. So far after trying friends saws of all the major brands I've still never felt another saw that just felt "Right" like the 044 does.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 11:21:33 PM »
I still have my first original 1989 044AV  (10mm)
Next winter project doing a complete restoration on it.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 11:30:16 PM »
i run the ethanol blend in all my saws and in the mill and everything else and i cant tell a difference other than a little better gas mileage in my truck when i tried the pure gas but not enough to justify the price difference only about 1 1/2 miles per gal more :-\ BUT my equipment DOES NOT SIT and i suspect my luck would change if i was letting it sit around without using for months at a time :) far as my saw goes some days i will burn 5 gallons of saw gas and some days i wont even burn a full tank but it will be run at least 6 out of 7 days year round :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline Hermio

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »
Old thread, I know. But I just bought a new Stihl MS500i, so I was curious. I think hte 500i will be my favorite, based on performance (fast, but with a wide torque band so it has no problem in big wood). It is also light and narrow. Time will tell on reliability. Up till now, my favorite was my Stihl MS441C, which wore out. Prior to that, I had a Stihl 038 Super, some kind of little Echo saw for limbing, and before that, I had some model of Remington. I just do firewood, so usually I run a 20" bar, though I have a 25" in reserve if I need it. But I cannot lift stuff that big, so I would only need it to get a larger tree bucked for moving it out of the way.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
Necrothread and subjective. Depends on the actual usage and even how you acquired it, price paid, provenance etc. Sometimes people inherit a saw and take it to heart, warts and all.

For me it's the Husky 2100, then the Jonsereds 80(bought one completely rebuilt and hopped up over 40yrs ago) and then the Jonsereds 90. And last but not least the Jonsered 2094. I don't have enough time in with the Jonsereds 910 to make a judgement call yet.

All pro saws and pro application. YMMV.

Kevin

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »
My first and favorite is the Stihl 361.  It's the perfect saw in power and weight.   My second is the Stihl 461.  I don't run it as often, but it's got to be one of Stihls best made saws ever. 

Offline JJinAK

• Enjoying the Last Frontier
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »
I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
MS461
MS362

Offline 421Altered

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2021, 11:48:00 AM »
My second, but favorite saw is my Stihl 024 that I bought new.  I still use it almost weekly.  It's compact with a 16' bar, so it fits neatly in my cross span tool box in my truck.  So, it's always ready to use.  If it hasn't been cranked for a while, maybe a month or more, it will need 3 to 4 pulls to fire it up.  I use it for about 95 percent of what I do.  

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
I actually think this is a good thread. I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

Well, liking it or not is pretty much the definition of subjective:
"subjective adjective - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
I had to laugh. :D I started working in a Stihl shop in 1975 and probably saw more 051's than any other model because that is what most of the loggers ran. You are right, they weighed almost as much as a small car and like the last girlfriend were high maintenance. The 075 was worse, I hated them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
I actually think this is a good thread. I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

Well, liking it or not is pretty much the definition of subjective:
"subjective adjective - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions."
^^^This!

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »
I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
I had to laugh. :D I started working in a Stihl shop in 1975 and probably saw more 051's than any other model because that is what most of the loggers ran. You are right, they weighed almost as much as a small car and like the last girlfriend were high maintenance. The 075 was worse, I hated them.
I started out with an 075. Then an old faller who was teaching me, put an early production Husky 2100 in my hands. I wanted to throw the 075 in a deep lake.

Kevin

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
My 2511t, cause it's always there. It lives in my truck, and gets pulled out to modify stakes or make some quick cuts. It'll hang fairly comfortably off my pistol belt, or go up a tree on my saddle. Starts easily, and runs reliably. If it disappeared right now, I'd have another one before I got home from work today.

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2021, 12:48:43 AM »

I started out with an 075. Then an old faller who was teaching me, put an early production Husky 2100 in my hands. I wanted to throw the 075 in a deep lake.

Kevin
I don't have the hands on experience with a lot of saws But I had a bad experience with a new 034 Stihl back in 95 and ended up trading it for a new Husky 262XP in 96. Gotta say that thing has been a rock star and still is to this day. That said, since starting my collecting hobby the big cube saws are the ones that have taken the focus and desire. 394's, 2100's 185, 181SE etc. Top shelf stuff and once fired up, just nice to listen too! :D 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Favorite time of the year.

Started by luvmexfood on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 05:57:55 PM
by 21incher
xx
Its my favorite time of year!

Started by Jeff on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 05:47:36 PM
by Patty
xx
Top 5 Favorite movies of all time

Started by Shawn on General Board

136 Replies
Last post December 10, 2006, 10:19:08 PM
by Bibbyman
xx
Your favorite chainsaw mill? I need help buying one.

Started by glaze on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 13, 2005, 10:07:25 AM
by Dan_Shade