iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Someone to mill wide slabs

Started by CKWoodCutter, June 19, 2017, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKWoodCutter

Looking for someone to mill 2 large oak logs into slabs. One is about 40 inch diameter by 13' long and the other is about 54" by 16' long. If anyone is interested or know someone that might be let me know. I'm located in East-Central Kansas. I have the ability to move the slabs but not the logs other than maybe roll them. Easy access right to them in a vehicle.
Thanks

CKWoodCutter

I would also be interested in purchasing a good used slabber if someone had the right deal.

Brad_bb

Not sure how to find someone like that.  I'd probably start on craigslist.  Then find local sawyers to ask who does slabbing.  One of them is bound to know someone if they don't slab themselves.  Along with my mill I have a chainsaw mill to slab up to 56".  My buddy Nick can mill up to 6.5ft.  Basically either you slab with a chainsaw mill or a Lucas slabbing mill.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

TKehl

I could do the little one, but my mill maxes at 52".  I could do the big one, but you will loose the live edge (unless that width is just a small section of flare that could be finished freehand).

Otherwise, there is a guy out of Fayetteville, AR with a Peterson that may be big enough.  Good chance you can find someone closer, but that's all I know of anywhere close to you.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

CKWoodCutter

Thanks to both of you! Like you said maybe someone is closer that could do it. Otherwise I'll probably just end up buying a Lucas dedicated slabber.

JesseK

Hello. My name is Jesse Kemp and I operate White River Sawmill in Springfield, Mo. I have a Peterson DWS that will cut 74". My number is (417)766-7108. Let me know if you are still interested in milling those oak logs. Thanks

Brad_S.

I hope you get the job Jesse. And if you do, I think a donation to the Forestry Forum by one of you is in order for drumming up some business.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!