iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

linear mill

Started by mad murdock, April 06, 2010, 03:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Anyone ever seen an old linear milling operation?  I guess early mills had manpower to saw through logs, then they went to reciprocating water wheel or steam power?  what was the progression before circle mills came on the scene?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tom

First there were just logs, then  splitting and hewing, then manual push/pull saws (bow saws, pit saws, etc) then automated push/pull saws (water, air or steam driven) then circle saws (power driven) and now we use bands, circle saws and knives (veneer).  While many think of circle saws as the "old-time" method, they are fairly recent, and have been predated by bands by many years.

mad murdock

thanks Tom, I was fishing for a history lesson, and I figured I woudl get a good one on here!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

mad murdock
Where are you getting the "linear mill" name ? 

Not a common description of a process for sawing logs into lumber, so was wondering if it is something you are reading about, or your own description.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hbarker

That ole Tom is a wippersnapper and a wealth of knowledge !

bandmiller2

The experssion "the pits"must have come from the poor SOB in the pit pulling the saw down.Steam freed mills from water ways and slowdowns in the summer when the streams ran slow.Cheap electric power eliminated high pressure steam and engineers from the mills.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mad murdock

"linear" was something that came to mind to describe the linear motion of the saw blade.  I have seen pictures of these types of mills in operation, the one that comes to mind was a water wheel powered, "reciporcating" action saw, configured much in the same way as the pit saws were.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Another thing is that the term Top Dog came from the Top sawer on pit saws asfar as water powered frame & Sash gang Saws go they have been around since the 1600s and steam came in around the 1800s the process of sawmilling hasnt realy changed over the centuries it still take a bloke with a good eye and skill to saw timber Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sdunston

Hanford mills muesum in upstate has the frame work were theres used to be but it was upgraded as times changed http://www.hanfordmills.org/index.php
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Thank You Sponsors!