iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using my fetching arch with Fat Olde Elf

Started by kelLOGg, May 11, 2013, 07:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I spent the afternoon at Fat Olde Elfs place trying out the fetching arch I made. Had a great time, met his wife Bonnie and was fed lunch and, oh yeah, the arch worked too. It will take some time to get experience with but it shows promise.

Before I replace the chain lift with a set of tongs I wanted to see if the design worked. It seemed to do OK. I left it with Paul to evaluate.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Good for both of you.  That is a rough old log, but two out of three ain't bad.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

That will help to keep him out of mischief. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

I tried unloading a log with an arch this afternoon..  I had a 18' pine,(20" small end) on a trailer.  I used to arch to lift one end of log and put short pieces of pipe under it so it would roll.  The arch was hooked to a sears riding tractor and it pull the log half way off the trailer.  Backed up and rehooked the arch to log weight center and lifted it right off the trailer and drove right around to the mill and sit it down on the bed.  The lifting device on my arch is a ton and half chain come-along.  Thanks for the idea and photos, kelLOGg. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

5quarter

The only rough old log I see is the one driving the tractor.  ;) Great job Bob!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fat olde elf

After Bob headed back to Durham I said to Bonnie"what have I done to deserve friends like Bob?" Her answer could have been " Beats me, What have you done to be married to me for 52 years and change? What she really said was "You are truely blessed !" I agree to both deals......Bonnie and Bob... Did you notice that Kellog said he was leaving the arch with me to evaluate ? How long do you think that will take ? He said he had plans to start on version II right away. Thank you Bob for letting me participate.  I continue to be grateful the whole Forestry Forum deal. Thanks to Da Boss and Wildflower and everyone who likes to pick on me. I love it !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Left Coast Chris

Great looking arch.  The tractor looks like a Massey 135.  Mine has really earned its keep.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

fat olde elf

Chris, you are very close. It is a model 35, built in Coventry-Climax Great Britain. 3 cylinder Perkins diesel. Bought it 21 years ago, it came to Charlotte NC via Quebec. Changed my life at that time and continues to perform well. zero problems ! It has actually gained value over the years !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Paul is just trying to help out a friend in a bind  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

A good set of big tongs ..........and a paint job......will really set that arch up!  Paul and I had a good chat while we ate at this year's piggy roast so I know he'll exercise that arch well. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

kelLOGg

After I saw that the adjustable mechanical advantage has an OK range, which was a main design feature, a set of tongs is imminent. Digging under a log to pass a chain thru is no walk in the park and the having to reposition it really sucks. (Sorry, Paul). On my 2nd version I hope to find  telescoping square tube. Then paint.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fat olde elf

Bob Kellogg is a marketing genius ! After my extensive evaluation of his fetching arch I bought the dern thing. Actually a great deal for both of us as he will use the revenue  for Version II. My plans are to convert it from fetching to regular 2" ball hitch. At 76 my fetching days are over. Hope to do photos of the conversion, film at 11. All of this only on the Forum....Say your prayers.

WDH

kelLOGg

Quote from: fat olde elf on June 23, 2013, 03:41:22 PM
Bob Kellogg is a marketing genius !

My idea of marketing is making something you like to make, loan it out and let it sell itself (if it in fact does).  I flunked Economics 101 ;D.  Seriously though, I'm glad you can use the arch, Paul. 

I've made the yoke/wheel assembly for the next version and am waiting to find telescoping square tube at the recycler.
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!