iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16yr old Jonsered CS2152 Worth repairing

Started by InDaWoods, May 12, 2019, 09:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InDaWoods

Hi..could use some advise from anyone willing to share experience or knowledge. My Jonsered CVS2152 no longer starts. Found the piston scored on the exhaust side. Performed a tear down, cylinder wall also in bad shape. Found 1 exhaust bolt was also missing. I'm thinking it may have been running lean due to plastic clamp between carb and head. So worth rebuilding or just buying a new machine?  If the majority say rebuild is a good idea then anyone have recommendiations as to where to purchase new parts ?  Web Search results so far in the aftermarket parts world have given mixed results, would like to buy quality parts for the rebuild..any and all input is greatly appriciated by all.

barbender

I had a saw from that family melt down for the same reason, it was under  warranty at the time. I don't know what an OE p/c would cost. I did use an aftermarket p/c from Bailey's on a Jred 2171, and that has worked well. At the time, an OE p/c was well over $300 and I wasn't putting that much into a nearly 15 year old saw. The aftermarket one was also a big bore kit, it seemed to give the 2171 a bit more grunt. 
Too many irons in the fire

dougand3

Sure, worth repairing.
OEM top end is ~$130.
AM top end ranges from $18 to $100. Nikasil cyl ones are ~$40.
Get a metal boot clamp and use all 4 jug bolts with a dab of blue loctite.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Allar

It's a good saw, fix her up!!
Get a meteor p/c kit and you'll be good to go.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

motzingg

love my 2150!  great saw and definitely worth fixing.  Just watch the exhaust hardware its kinda small for the job it is doing and prone to strip/cross thread. 

i go about 1.5 turns of the high speed jet between 15 degrees outside and 70 degrees outside, if you are running in cold/hot weather pay attention to the jetting and i'd say if it changes more than 2 turns start looking for an air leak. 

Fishnuts2

It's one of the better saws out there in my opinion.  For $150 or so you can get a factory 346 jug and piston and add the new metal clamp and intake boot.  Do a vacuum and pressure test to be sure when you get it together and you'll be all set.

InDaWoods

To everyone that responded thanks for the push in the right direction to repair the saw...they say the economy is good, but not so great in Rhode Island 

Any suggestions as to where to purchase ?  what is the "meteor p/c kit"?
I'll be more than happy to get the saw back to original specs and maybe a non-catalytic muffler.
I'd like to go OEM if possible.
New Boot Clamp is a given..learned that from this forum had I not found this group of knowledgeable people i would have never known.
i'm sure you've all seen the damage before but would it be helpful to post any pics of my damage to maybe help others?

dougand3

Meteor is the best AfterMarket topend-cyl, piston, rings, circlips. Most come with Caber rings - the best. But it's price approaches OEM. You can spend $200 rebuilding this saw with OEM...but you say you have a budget. So, you need to look over options and decide what to pay. Search ebay terms "Jonsered 2152 cylinder" , "Husqvarna 353 cylinder", "Husqvarna 346 cylinder" and look at all the possibilities. 44mm 346NE and 45mm 353 are the most prevalent.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

InDaWoods

Just wanted to say THANKS to all that responded and your suggestions/advise.
Went with Meteor part and as of this afternoon "IT'S ALIVE"...kit was on sale and i ordered a few extra's while I had it apart.
Waiting on metal clip and 1 exhaust bolt which went missing after last use and I didn't know.  So for 1.00..some welding/grinding i made my own exhaust bolt so i could start the saw.  Not sure what caused the failure to occur in the 1st place other than the 1 exhaust bolt missing no other issues found....regardless thanks very much again

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!