iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo 44

Started by Timo, April 22, 2005, 01:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timo

Hi there,

I currently have a Husky 272xp, which is a great saw for most of the falling, bucking, and log triming that I do. However, I'd like to have a smaller, lighter saw for smaller trees, brush clearing, limbing, and to keep handy around the mill.

I recently came accross a 43cc  (model 44 something - 16 inch blade, 3/4 wrap handle) Echo at a reasonable price, but know nothing about these saws. Seller claims it's a great saw, but they always do don't they? ::)

any experience out there? Again, I realize that this is a light saw, but I don't like buying tools with a short shelf life only suitable for the 'one cord of firewood a year' type of use....
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

Chris J

I can only paraphrase what I've read & heard.  Echos are generally considered to be good saws, just not on the same level as Stihl & Husky, but definately better than the disposable saws from Walmart.  The larger Echos are apparantly behind in the power-to-weight ratio, & aren't priced low enough to make up for it.

Which exact model are you considering, & what's the asking price?  I'm not trying to be nosy, it's just that eBayware at one time had a flood of Echos, & if you chose the right auction & timed it right you could get NIB Echos really cheap.  I recall a post here where one of the ladies got a CS4400 NIB for under $200.00 & that included the shipping.

Hope this helps  :-\.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Timo

This is a new saw for $350 Canadian,  or about $275-300 US. It 'handles' well, but does seem a little porky for a 43cc saw. Thanks for the info.

cheers,
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

DonE911

I have an echo 440.... got it new and on the cheap 8)   Its been a good saw, but it's not been used heavy yet.  I've run maybe 15 tanks of fuel through it.  I like the feel of it, but its a little heavy.  It feels about the same as my makita dcs540 to carry, although it doesn't have nearly the power the makita has for the same weight.  ( That's weight by feel, not by scale, as I have no idea what each actually tips the scale at )  the makita is 10 cc's bigger. I have an echo cs305 that I have used alot and I love that little saw.  I have modded the muffler on it, removed the limiters from it, and its much better than stock.  I have not done the muffler on the 440 yet but I'm sure there is more power there.  I can say that the echo saws start very easy.  I usually pull it twice choked and it fires right up on the third pull with the choke off.  I cant say the same for my stihl's and the makita is usually 5 pulls.

I'd buy another echo if the price was right.

Chris J

The small Echo saws, especially the top handle ones, are very popular, good saw for not a lot of money.  Especially when compared to Husky & Stihl.

Did Echo have a 'heyday,' a time when their use by professionals nearly equalled, maybe even exceeded, that of Husky & Stihl?  I'm thinking of their larger saws.  Around my area I see a lot of small Echos in use.  Maybe Echo has conceded the large saw market & is content with their market share on smaller saws?
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

DanG

I have two Echos...a CS300 climbing saw, and a CS670.   Both are great saws for the money.  They are definitely "pro" equipment.  I don't have Stihl/Husky experience, so I can't draw an honest comparison.  However, some folks that have used my saws say they are just as good, and they like the Echo better.  A couple of arborist friends dropped by the other day and were checking out my saws.  They really seemed to like what they saw.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

old_hb

For an amateur, I've got a lot of chainsaws (1 husky 336,one 365, 2 372's, one Stihl 36 and one 660) Recently, I bought two Echo's (a 340 and 345) and I think that they're great little saws for limbs and small trees. They start easily, cut well and my only complaint is that the air filters get dirty faster than any saw I've ever had. The one saw above which I really do not like!!! is the  Husky 336, and I decided to splurge and get a Stihl 200T.  Bottom line is that I think Echo 's big saws are not as good as the better  models of Stihl and Husky, but are superior to those companies' "consumer models. " Good luck.

Quartlow

Ive got 2 of them a 750 and a 500. The 500 see most of the use and has been a very reliable saw. The 750 is a whole lot lighter than my .075 Stihl and a lot easier to start. I only get the 075 out for ripping any more.

I don't think in the small saws your can tell that much power difference. on the bigger saws there is but for the difference isn't that great. In my limited opinion the echo's are a lot more dependable. That and echo only makes one level of saw to my knowledge. They don't make a home owner saw and a pro saw. They do one level of saw and they do it right.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Sparkkky

I had a bad expereince with two of the smaller Echos and will not be trying them again!

Old_Town

Sparkky, what type of trouble did you have? I would like to know so I can look out for trouble with my Echo saws.

Thanks,
Ty

Sparkkky

Both the saws I had would start and run all right until I used them awhile set them down and tried to start them again, might have been vapor lock, plus the new side Adj. for the bar would bind and lock up on my 346.

Went to a Shindawia 377 and it starts every time.

ladylake

Timo I'd get a CS510 or 520  49cc, great power and light.  My favorite saw and I have 9 saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!