iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered CS2152 C or Stihl MS290 Farm Boss??

Started by Morey, April 15, 2009, 01:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morey

Yep, just joined up but this important for me.  This saw is a gift to my brother for his wedding present.  He's getting hitched this weekend and once he returns from his honeymoon in a week and a half we'll be heading to a dealer I like (Stihl and Jonsered only) to pick either a Jonsered CS 2152 C ($399) or a Stihl MS290 $379 and they will be fitted with an 18" bar.  I don't want to spend over $400 for the gift so that's my only constraint.  If there is a model slightly more $$ but worth it....I'm all ears.

I was dead set on the 290 but the service/sales guy asked if I was only interested in Stihl.  He then showed me the Jonsered and was telling me I would be getting more saw if I went this route.  He suggested that the Jonsered was more of a pro model saw and able to handle tank after tank of gas.  I'm wondering if Jonsered is discontinueing this model since I don't see it on their wbsite.  I have a MS250 but I hardly use it (and when I do it's light work) so I can't even comment on it's durability.  It does seem to get hot when running for long periods but I have nothing to compare it against and who knows what my interpretation of "hot" is.

My brother lives on 10 acres and heats his home in the winter with a wood stove from the basement.  I'm guessing he'll spend a full day every once and while running this saw through large sized trees to small.  He has a lot of oak on his property.

I hope this isn't a boring newbie question for you guys.  I'm a longtime member on a few hunting sites and always try and answer new folks questions. 

Thanks in advance for any input as it is greatly appreciated!

tonto

Welcome Morey. Don't know much about the Jonsered but I know you can't go wrong with the 290 Farm Boss for what he will use it for. The Stihl dealer by us has them on sale for $359 and they come with a free case. Good luck with your purchase and wish your brother luck. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

John Mc

Other than color and some differences in the handle, the Jonsered 2152 is identical to the Husky 353. (The 353 is still on Husky's web site.)

I own a 2152 and have been happy with it. I use it with a 16" bar (a friend with a 353 uses a 20" bar, which is too much for this saw, IMO ... at least with hardwoods).

I believe the 2152 may have been replaced by the 2250... similar specs, but I don't know anything about the construction & durability of the 2250.

The Stihl 290 has more power, but the 2152 weighs 2 pounds less. The 270 is probably a closer match to the 2152. I know that some Stihl models have better vibration damping than others. I think the 270 and 280 were a couple of the good ones in this regard (but someone with more experience with Stihls may want to verify this).

Another couple of good options: the Jonsered 2159 (or twin sister Husky 359) or the Stihl 280. All nice saws, built to last, and a nice balance of power and weight.  These may be out of your price range, however.

Here's a link to a post by SawCollector that gives some good background on Stihl saws and how the construction varies between different model lines.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

timber tramp

Morey- Welcome to the Forum, can't help with your saw choice, but I'm sure you'll find good advice here. I know I have.             :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

ErikC

I have only experience with the stihls, so can't compare but here's my side of it. I have a 290 that is pretty used, and running all day is no problem for it. I use a 20" bar, and it does well. The heat question--Chainsaws get awfully hot, especially around the muffler so that is not necessarily a problem, but they can overheat. Dirty saws and lean fuel or carburetor settings probably cause overheating the most. He should be pretty happy no matter which way you go. Free Saw would make anyone's day ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ladylake

I'd go with the 2152 just based on weight, I think the power is closer than what it is on paper.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mud

The 2152 is the better built saw. It is built more like a pro saw with a magnesium case while the stihl has a plastic clam shell design that they use. Both will last a long time and will be decent saws but when it dose come time to rebuild the 2152 will be much easier and likely cheaper (especially if taking to a shop), the clam shell saws from any manufacture that I have played around with are quite a bit more of a pain to work on.

I have used the husky version of the 2152 a few times and let me say that those are great little saws.
and a few splitting mauls

chucker

"Welcome " to the site morey!! theres plenty of good advice here and the will to share it with everyone... theres no question to boring to ask when your in to the "wanting to know".....  both saws are great makes and worthy of all they can do with the right operator and experience!! good luck on your choice......
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Morey

Thanks guys, it's been fun reading the posts!  I have until next week until I buy one.  I'll be sure and let you all know what one my brother will go with.

Thank You Sponsors!