iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Figured Out My Efco 251 Fuel Starvation Problem (shuting off after 4 or 5 min.)

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, November 18, 2010, 08:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

1st of All my son put >> oil in the gas side and gas in the oil side but the saw was shuting off before that.

I bought this saw as a open box sell about a month ago. The problem started after the 3rd or 4th tnk of gas. I was careful with the fuel and it was always clean and cleaned around the caps to make sure dirt did not get in the tank.

The saw started acting up with about a half a tank of gas left. It was starved for fuel and I pulled out of the cut and leveled the saw and was off & on the gas for it to recover and run ok.  I thought that the filter in the tank was loaded up and pulled it out & cleaned it with brake clean and it was fine, not loaded with dirt and good clean color of the white felt material. I gassed the saw up and still No fuel getting to the carb. after several pumps on the pressure bulb thing.  I tried blowing in the tank and this brought back memories of the old days and trick my dad showed me. Anyway, it was not a great tasting experience with lip locking onto the gas opening and I could not push any fuel into the carb.

I removed the tank filter again and checked it over again... looking at the filter and thinking.. that's as clean as it can be, why No Gas. I removed the filter deal & blew in the line and got results that way into the carb. .  I looked in the back side (where the fuel line connects) and saw something black and could not blow through the filter element from the back side. I took the two side clips off and removed the front side of the filter element and took a saw file tang and pushed the disk filter out. This little disk or mesh filter was (nearly) completely blocked.

I put everything back together less the internal disk filter and tried the saw out. The saw cranked up and ran one tank of fuel and worked 100%. I need to look at this disk filter tomorrow with my mag. glass and see what type of material it is.. mesh or what ?  If not re-cleanable I'll have to find it on the internet I guess to replace it.

The purpose of this post was to let ya all know what little problems are out there and a heads up to Ya All !

Also, if you have some Saw Related Problem's.. I'd or We'd Like to Hear Them.

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

H60 Hawk Pilot

I will get a new filter, did not know that it was two part filter with center disk inside. The outside part of the filter was very clean. The inside disk, about 5/16 OD was loaded up and threw me off with the very clean outside filter element (like new) and 3 or 4 tanks of gas through the saw.

Not my 1st rodeo with filters, does not add up. Yes, the simple answer is replace the filter and I understand all that but the outside should have been loaded too!

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Cut4fun

You say outside filter should be loaded too. I say not. Explain how all the tiny wood particles stop up the screen in the carb? But no stoppage on or around the filter.

My guess the tiny particles are smaller then the filter mesh and get by and over time create the build up we finally see when blockage accrues.

Rocky_J

With only 4 tanks of fuel through the saw I would guess it to be trash introduced during manufacturing. Or else the saw was a display unit and sat on a shelf with no gas cap for a year or two and filled up with dust.

H60 Hawk Pilot

This may have been a display unit because it was an open box saw. It was never run though and it threw me off with the (nearly) snow white filter condition that I saw on the outside. The inside waffer disk was black & loaded and couldn't blow through it with my little test. It will be a little my mystery and fooled me once. I know it was not from the gas can, it was brand new and I rinsed it out with gas prior to mixing the fuel up and cleaned around the tank cap before I opened it up... just a little strange and it may have been a un-clean tank with fine dust in there from the get go.

Don't matter, I need to find a saw shop and buy a 4 or so tank filters and a have couple xtra for my other saw. I really like this little saw and has enough power & light weight  and still have enough power to do soemthing with. I have not had a new saw in 40 years and saws have changed.

All in All, Just wanted to share the experence of having a new saw and the tank filter plugged up already;  and hear about your saw problem's & fixes.

Be Careful Out There !

Avery

isawlogs

Thanks for sharing , I also think that it was sitting and collected the dust off the shelf, that my story and sticking to it  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sharkey

Hi H60,
Usually the walbro filters only have three parts to them.  The white cotton pieces go around a cast or plastic center body and then a clip holds the cotton filter pieces on to the filter body.  The older filter bodies were aluminum and the newer ones are plastic with a weight on the bottom.   

Im curious if your saw uses an air purge bulb?  Maybe that was the check valve out of the bulb that you found down inside the hose?

Thank You Sponsors!