iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil Farm Boss

Started by Stephen1, July 29, 2013, 09:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have an 038avs Farm Boss. A older saw that runs real good.
My problem is the starter recoil is just spinning when I try to start it. I have has issues over the last cpl years, and looked at my self and by a shop to some improvement. I just took it to a local shop who told me they have to take apart to fix and rebuild. That scares me, no estimate. I am told no parts.
Should I be able to get a new recoil? Should I just take it apart and see what the issue is? Theory being,  it is already broken the worst that will happen is it stays broken.
I just hate dealing with the spring, it usually turns into a mess.. :o
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

joe_indi

Stephen, the pawl spring on the recoil is worn out.You need to replace it.
If you do need to use the saw urgently this is a temporary cure:
Remove the pawl spring, carefully. Carefully because it might snap in two since it is worn out.
Soak some thread in threadloc and wind it into the groove in which the pawl spring is installed on the axle.
Fit the pawl back.It will now have some tightness to move the pawl out.
For how long? That depends on your luck.
Sometimes a couple of months, sometimes within a day.

Stephen1

Thanks Joe, It is not a priority to have the saw running yesterday, I have another saw
I looked to left and saw the chainsawer, well I gave him a call and 29.95 later he is  sending me a used part with new cord installed, all I have to do is bolt it on. Sound way simpler and cheaper than a rebuild from my overpriced(in my opionion) saw shop I have here in town. The next thought was to take to the shop near where my sugar bush is, they are more reasonable.
And besides I really like to use our sponsors when I can ;)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

AdkStihl

Could be just a busted starter pawl as well. Which is about $0.75 and a 2 min fix.
J.Miller Photography

thecfarm

I had an 032 way back in the early '80's. I always kept a couple starter pawls in my tool box. It would eat them things up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

I went into to have a look, nothing broken, just seized. The saw was in the basement of my cabin when it flooded 7 years ago. The recoil has been hit and miss since then.  The newer one might just fix the problem

Al_Smith

I wouldn't be real concerned or worried about working on a Stihl recoil .In my opinion Stihl makes the most user friendly assembley of any saw I've ever worked on .

As far as the pawl spring deal if you face the clip the wrong direction it will not push the pawl out when you pull it over .

If the thing were under water as you say it might not be a bad idea to pull the rope drum and give the spring a little squirt of some type penetrating oil .

Now don't fret that it might unspring like a 10-series McCulloch and cause you hours of frustration getting the spring wound back up because it's contained within a little metal enclosure .

Even if you need a new pawl and spring clip it's not going to break the bank .Pawl is #1117 195 7200  spring clip  # 1117 195 3500

Thank You Sponsors!