iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw chain tools

Started by bandmiller2, July 31, 2013, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Do many of you guys make up chain loops from a roll.??I've got all the tools but still order loops all made.Sometimes I find new chain in odd legnths and use the breaker and spinner to adjust the length. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I have several rolls of bulk chain .Quit frankly though usually you can find ready made loops cheaper than you can roll your own so to speak .

More times than not my chain spinner is used to repair damaged loops .

sawguy21

Unless you need lengths that are not commonly stocked, it is usually more economical to buy pre made loops when you factor in the time. We sell rolls to shops that move a lot of chain, they service all makes and models, but most  of the smaller dealers purchase loops in the popular sizes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NWP

I have all the tools also but typically purchase pre made loops. I usually try to catch it on sale. I do repair chains and shorten stretched out processor chains mostly
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

HolmenTree

I buy my chain by the roll and break/spin my loops for my various saws.
I have piles of rocked out chain in storage which still have lots of cutter left, so when I have time in the winter I'm busy making up the different loops for what I can salvage for the different b/c I run for next season.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ed

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 01, 2013, 09:22:02 PM
I have several rolls of bulk chain .Quit frankly though usually you can find ready made loops cheaper than you can roll your own so to speak .

Yup, I figured it out a while back, it would take a non-pro a long time to pay off the investment.

For an outfit running multiple saws with different bar lengths that take the same chain the convenience factor is a big plus in itself.

Ed

thecfarm

I use my saw quite a bit. But no to making my own chain up. I don't even use 10 loops a year. One place that use to be open would have a sale on 6 chains. He's long gone and have not seen a sale since.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Quote from: Ed on August 02, 2013, 11:07:22 AM
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 01, 2013, 09:22:02 PM

Yup, I figured it out a while back, it would take a non-pro a long time to pay off the investment.

Ed
Well yes but then I have bud who runs a tree service which is probabley mid sized as far as that .He uses only Stihl chain and just fiqures the chain is the cost of doing business .If he rocks one I gather them up every so often and repair them .Fact most of my Stihl branded chains came from the bottom of his tool boxes .
Now this guy has a spinner and a breaker he just doesn't fool with it .

bill m

When I  was running my tree service we were useing bars from 16 to 32 inches and making loops as needed. Now that I am just logging and useing 20 inch bars it's easier to buy pre made loops.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!