iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ray's Portable Manual Mill Mods & Additions

Started by RAYAR, June 13, 2019, 03:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

Installed a log loading winch set-up this past afternoon. Can be used from either side. Still need to weld a short section of tubing to the top center of the slide tube for the cable hook for winching. Also still have to construct the loading ramps.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

RAYAR

Made two trays, the larger, heavier guage one goes under the carriage, which is over the axle, when in the travel position to hold the lube and fuel containers.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Crusarius

That looks nice. have you used the winch yet? I would think your going to want some triangulation to support that tall post. Sure looks like its going to want to bend with a large log.

DMcCoy

Nice looking build, very clean.  What did you use for wheels(source?)

RAYAR

Quote from: DMcCoy on June 13, 2019, 08:26:53 AM
Nice looking build, very clean.  What did you use for wheels(source?)
I bought it last July, already built several years ago. I've since made several improvements on it. The band wheels are spoked cast 18-3/4" V-belt pulley type. (I hope this is what you are asking about)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Quote from: Crusarius on June 13, 2019, 07:32:03 AM
That looks nice. have you used the winch yet? I would think your going to want some triangulation to support that tall post. Sure looks like its going to want to bend with a large log.
Not used yet, just installed yesterday. The post is not really that tall and it's quite rugged, actually. It's sporting a 2500 lb winch with 50 ft of 3/16" cable.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Vautour

Nice work and set up RAY.....i see you got a overhead door spring installed for raising the head assembly.... did you put the biggest spring available for the jackshaft??... im planning on doing this also so any information would be appreciated..TKS 
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

RAYAR

Quote from: Vautour on June 14, 2019, 08:45:46 PM
Nice work and set up RAY.....i see you got a overhead door spring installed for raising the head assembly.... did you put the biggest spring available for the jackshaft??... im planning on doing this also so any information would be appreciated..TKS

Hi Vautour, I did not build this mill, but suppose to have been built by someone in this area likely around 2005-2006. My mill is not large compared to your mill. Your mill would need a good sized set-up. Just thinking... maybe two jackshafts linked in tandem together by chain and sprocket would be something to think about, but would still need large springs. ???

I'm thinking if I had a larger diameter spring, it would reduce the lightness at the bottom and lighten the weight when cranked up as there wouldn't be as much change in tension as the smaller spring is getting.

Manually operated, one thing about this set-up is it gets harder to turn the height adjustment wheel as you get nearer to the top, as the spring tension is being reduced. If I adjust it anymore, the saw head will start to float as it reaches the bottom of its' travel. It's not like an overhead door that slides horizontally overhead where the vertical weight of the door is being reduced as the spring is being unwound as it goes up. The extension spring type would have the same issues. Chains, sprockets and counter weights would keep the weight equal in its' travel, but you'd have to add a fair bit of weight, so not the way to go for a portable mill.

Ray
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Used my winch set-up this afternoon (Sunday). Worked every bit as good as I expected, even winching logs from a distance, then rolling them up onto the mill.

Anchor point for winch cable when rolling logs up onto mill bed (short square tube in center)

Ready to head out with new winch set-up

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

DMcCoy

Um yes there are several to choose from... :-[
I was wondering about the wheels the saw head travels on.

RAYAR

Quote from: DMcCoy on June 17, 2019, 08:49:29 AM
I was wondering about the wheels the saw head travels on.
Doing a little research, they are U-groove track rolllers. Mine are measuring 3" diameter by 1" thick with a 3/8" wide groove. They are rolling on the edge of 1/4" angle. There is a spacer between the bearing and the carriage frame.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

A better view of how my winching set-up works.

This pic shows the travel position, horizontal slide tube centered with pins, cable hooked under a log bunk and snugged up. This keeps the system from rattling and moving while traveling.

This pic shows the horizontal tube slid in against the slide tube in working position.

This pic shows the anchor for the cable hook when rolling the log up the ramps.

This pic shows the 4 ft tube slid out to clear the saw head.

When using winch on operator side, the winch can be lifted out and set aside and the tube is left slid in to easily get by it. (operator side opposite side in this pic)

In this pic, it shows where I welded an old bolt under the edge of the tube to keep the winch tube from sliding through making it a drop in set-up  and to keep it open so sawdust doesn't accumulate in it. Hole for a pin not needed in this case.

I don't think I need to worry about 2500 lb humans :D

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

bwstout

i have a similar set up but use 3x3x 1/4 wall and have a 3000# atv winch on it have loaded and then turned  some 30" x 12' SYP and RO so for have not destroyed anything or bent yet but time will tell ;D
home built mill

RAYAR

Quote from: bwstout on June 19, 2019, 04:28:00 PM
i have a similar set up but use 3x3x 1/4 wall and have a 3000# atv winch on it have loaded and then turned  some 30" x 12' SYP and RO so for have not destroyed anything or bent yet but time will tell ;D

I used 2" X 2" X 3/16" and the vertical piece the winch is on is made up of two pieces I spliced together, about 29" long. The slide tube is 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" X 3/16"  and 34" long. I also reinforced the ends with additional 3/16" pieces. It's what I had available. The mills' frame is 30" wide.

I set up on the side of a dirt road and done a few single line pulls from the edge of the woods to the mill before doing the roll winching thing up the ramps (just a couple old birch sticks). The heaviest one was a Poplar about 14" on small end. It was cut last summer for a power line clearing and was still in full length. They were just cut down and dozed aside. I cut a 9 ft section out of it after having to cut a few sections off the butt until I got to solid wood. (ants) The winch is a two speed and used in high range of 4:1 ratio. It winched that over with no effort at all. That log was still quite wet when I milled it.

Very impressed with the performance of my winch set-up so far. Worked every bit as good as I expected and then some.

Ray
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

bwstout

yes sir should not have any problems with your set up and you have a nice looking mill
home built mill

RAYAR

Stopped in at my former work place this evening and started to put together two more cam dawgs like the one shown that I built last year. It works quite well and I don't feel I need to modify it so I'm copying it. Forgot to take another pic of what I accomplished this evening. The only thing left to weld is the loop handles and I'm ready to drill the holes. Also have a little shaping left to do with a disc grinder on a few pieces, mainly rounding some corners. The beak on them is armour plate, so would not want to run a band blade into it. Also need to pick up the hardware to put them together with.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Magicman

I would consider enclosing those mast rollers and adding a rail wiper fore & aft.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RAYAR

Hi MM, I don't seem to have a good pic of the area where the sawdust exits but in the lower right corner of this pic you can see the carriage roller has a cover and directly behind it there is a plate that extends over the rail to help with keeping sawdust from gathering on the rail. There is some sawdust getting compressed on the rail and rollers and  do have plans on installing rail and roller wipers.

Another place I need to add a deflector/wiper is on that yellow guard in this pic. Too much sawdust gets by here and can cake onto the band support bearings and drive wheel belt. I have already added a back stop guard to this yellow deflector as seen in second pic.

Went searching and found a little better pic of this area.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Magicman

Quote from: RAYAR on June 26, 2019, 11:50:19 AMThere is some sawdust getting compressed on the rail and rollers and do have plans on installing rail and roller wipers
That was my concern.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RAYAR

A better pic of the carriage wheel cover and rail sawdust deflector

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Finished building the log cam dawgs, ready for paint. Still need to make the holders and cross frame supports for these.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Getting the dawg pieces painted.

On these dawg pieces, I originally drilled the holes towards the opposite side. Last night, I plug welded them and relocated them to where they are now, drilled and fitted to each individual dawg assembly. I didn't have the original one when I marked and drilled them.

The cams with the dawgs in the background.

The original dawg and the new ones painted and drying. The slides, the smaller pieces, I still need to find the right size tube to weld to the side for it to slide on the bar between the frame rails. Still need to get and mount the cross bars for these two new dawgs.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

All painted and assembled, even touched up my original one.

Some glare that seems to be giving a colour shift. The bright red is the proper colour. Even gave my pulp hook a few shots of yellow so it stands out better if it gets laid down somewhere.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Finished up some more parts last night, painted them this afternoon.

The two small pieces of tubing are for one end of the threaded rod slide bars. Still need to fabricate the 'U' shaped pieces to hold the other end so it's removable.

One additional backstop I'm adding for short logs and the log dawg slides now have the slide tube welded onto them.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Thank You Sponsors!